1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic circuit

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1
    I am attempting to simulate the 4017 chip in multisim but I am not getting the expected result. I doubt that multisim is incorrectly simulating the chip, so I think that I am probably just hooking it up incorrectly.

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/4017.htm
    http://www.doctronics.co.uk/pdf_files/4017.pdf

[​IMG]

As you can see from the picture, I am giving the 4017 a square wave input and everything works except ~Q5-9 doesn't seem to work at all. For some reason, I can't seem to get ~Q5-9 to change from 0 V no matter what I do. According to the doctronics website and the datasheet, this pin should be high when Q0 to Q4 is high... but it never is.

Does anyone know what I am doing incorrectly? Unfortunately I do not have the actual chip to do this in reality.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's very hard to read how you have it hooked up from your diagram. Have you connected all the enables? Power, reset, etc.?

4. Jan 6, 2009 #3
    I don't know about multisim but, how do you set the trigger source of XSC1?

5. Jan 6, 2009 #4
    Thanks for your replies,

I was able to get it to work correctly after putting two inverters in series with the ~O5-9 output to amplify the signal.

I don't see why I needed to amplify this signal when the other outputs work just fine...
    In reality I plan on using the 74hc4017 not the cmos version but I hope that I won't have to do that once I get the actual chips.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?