Logic circuits with Flip Flops

In summary, a counter with two state outputs, y1 and y2, and a control input x, has flip-flops that do not change when x = 0 and cycle through a 2-bit Gray code sequence (00 – 01 – 11 – 10) when x = 1. The outputs for y1 and y2 simply correspond to the current state of the counter.
gomezfx

Homework Statement

A counter has two state outputs y1 (the more significant bit) and y2 (the less significant bit) and a control input x. When x = 0, the states of the counter’s flip-flops do not change. When x = 1, the states of the counter’s flip-flops cycle through the codes of a 2-bit Gray code sequence (00 – 01 – 11 – 10) on successive clock pulses.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble setting up the state table. The gray code part is what's confusing me I think. Does anyone mind looking at my state table to verify if it's right. Also, how am I supposed to know what the outputs for y1 and y2 yield?

hw.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Your state table is OK. y1 and y2 just output the current state of the counter, so y1=a and y2 = b

1. What is a "Flip Flop" in a logic circuit?

A Flip Flop is a digital logic circuit element that can store one bit of information, either a 0 or a 1. It is commonly used in sequential logic circuits to store and transmit data based on clock signals.

2. What are the different types of Flip Flops used in logic circuits?

The most common types of Flip Flops used in logic circuits are the D Flip Flop, T Flip Flop, JK Flip Flop, and SR Flip Flop. These differ in their inputs and outputs, which can affect how the stored data is changed or transmitted.

3. How do Flip Flops contribute to the overall function of a logic circuit?

Flip Flops are essential components in sequential logic circuits, which are circuits that use past inputs and outputs to determine future outputs. By storing and changing data based on clock signals, Flip Flops help control the flow of information through the circuit.

4. Can Flip Flops be used in combination with other logic gates?

Yes, Flip Flops can be used in combination with other logic gates to create more complex circuits. For example, a Flip Flop with an AND gate can create a circuit that only changes its output when both the clock signal and input data are high.

5. What are some common applications for logic circuits with Flip Flops?

Logic circuits with Flip Flops are commonly used in computer memory, digital clocks, and other electronic devices that require sequential logic. They are also used in control systems, such as in industrial automation and robotics, where precise timing and sequencing are necessary.