1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic Circuits

1. Apr 24, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3qdr96n27j8wa7/circuit.png?dl=0

The questions is as follows: For each circuit write the equivalent logic expression.
    2. Relevant equations

(B' + C) * A (?) My Attempt at circuit 2
    (A* (A' * C') * B') + (A * C * B) My Attempt at Circuit 1

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted circuit 2 and circuit 1 but circuit 2 is easier because i think i know some of the basics but circuit 1 was very complicated (I did look at it and try to work it out, my best guess really) and i really need an assist on that as for circuit 2 here is what I got and my reasoning: (B' + C) * A

In the second circuit you have three gates. A "NOT" gate, a "OR" gate and an "AND" gate.

1) "NOT" gates inverts the input. An input of '1' for a NOT gate would result in a '0' and an input of '0' would result in a '1'. So if the input is say x we denote the output by x′ where x′ denote the opposite of x. So B becomes B'.

2) "OR" gates take two inputs and add then together. Basically this means if the two inputs are x and y the output will be x+y. So B' becomes B'+C

3) "AND" gates take two inputs and multiplies then together. Hence if the two inputs are x and y the output will be xy. So B' + C becomes (B'+C) * A

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2015 #2
    Yes, that is correct. Have you made an attempt for circuit 1?

4. Apr 25, 2015 #3
    I found it very hard. I know what the gates mean but all those pathways going everywhere is just to confusing. BUT if i had to guess I would say something like: (A* (A' * C') * B') + (A * C * B).

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  5. Apr 25, 2015 #4
    Just start from the right side, and work backwards slowly. Take your time.

6. Apr 25, 2015 #5
    Am I close? (A* (A' * C ') * B ') + (A * C * B)

7. Apr 25, 2015 #6
    I also came up with some tables is this right?

Attached Files:

• 2.0.gif
      2.0.gif
      File size:
      4.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      3.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Apr 25, 2015 #7
    I think i mucked up circuit 1: its (A* (A' * C ')' * B ') + (A * C * B). Could someone tell me if i'm right?

Attached Files:

• 2.5.gif
      2.5.gif
      File size:
      4.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Apr 25, 2015 #8
    Yes, that looks correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted