Losing Contact With Logic: Examining the Thin Layer of Reason

In summary: I'm not sure if it's a problem, but I find it helpful to try and break things down into simpler concepts and work on them one at a time.
Sefrez
When ever I go trying to solve a problem, especially the ones that have my mind greatly diverge into many concepts, I seem to notice myself losing contact with logic. Its like a bad dream really. I find myself attempting to solve how I am solving a problem and so on. Or at least questioning what ever the heck I am actually doing. I begin to feel as if simple concepts, to what seems to be the foundation of my thinking, break down and nothing sensible is left. Does anyone else experience this? Often at times like this I usually get angry and give up at the problem with a, "I'm just stupid I guess." But I wonder if everyone notices that logic seems to be a "thin layer" like this? And maybe the difference between them and me is simply that for some reason I am inclined to solve it rather than ignore it.

But this leads me to wondering if basic concepts should not be questioned; because if logic does break down there can't be any point in doing so if I am to continue living in the "logical world".

I also wonder if what I experience could be considered OCD. For example repetitive thoughts don't help. But I am unsure as to how much repetitive thinking is usual in solving a problem that is hard - because it is just that, not knowing where to go next.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try slowing down first. I had the opposite problem where I would get so absorbed in logic and reasoning that I would forget what the purpose of my thinking was to begin with haha.

Sefrez said:
I find myself attempting to solve how I am solving a problem and so on.
This is actually a very important problem solving skill. Simply being aware of such a notion is good progress!

Sefrez said:
When ever I go trying to solve a problem, especially the ones that have my mind greatly diverge into many concepts, I seem to notice myself losing contact with logic.
Are you talking about math and physics problems?

Hurkyl said:
This is actually a very important problem solving skill. Simply being aware of such a notion is good progress!

Hmm. Well I know I can get over loaded quite easily. If I were a computer program I would describe myself as an infinite loop in that it only ends when memory and CPU get too high.

zoobyshoe said:
Are you talking about math and physics problems?

As per most recent experiences, yes, though I see it being general. Is there reason as to why you are specific?

Sefrez said:
Is there reason as to why you are specific?
If you're talking about math/physics, I don't know what to tell you. If you're talking about all other sorts of problems I think I've had the same experience.

1. What is "Losing Contact With Logic: Examining the Thin Layer of Reason"?

"Losing Contact With Logic: Examining the Thin Layer of Reason" is a scientific concept that refers to the breakdown of rational thinking and decision-making processes. It describes the phenomenon where individuals become disconnected from logical reasoning and rely more on emotions and biases in their thoughts and actions.

2. What causes an individual to lose contact with logic?

There are multiple factors that can contribute to an individual losing contact with logic, such as stress, fatigue, emotional distress, and cognitive biases. It can also be influenced by societal and cultural norms, as well as individual experiences and beliefs.

3. How can losing contact with logic affect decision-making?

When an individual loses contact with logic, their decision-making processes become impaired. They may make impulsive or irrational decisions, overlook important information, and rely on biases rather than logical reasoning. This can lead to negative consequences in personal and professional situations.

4. Is it possible to regain contact with logic once it has been lost?

Yes, it is possible to regain contact with logic through various techniques such as mindfulness, critical thinking, and cognitive behavioral therapy. It requires self-awareness and conscious effort to identify and challenge irrational thoughts and biases, and relearn how to make decisions based on logic and evidence.

5. How can understanding "Losing Contact With Logic" benefit society?

By understanding the concept of "Losing Contact With Logic", we can become more aware of our own thinking patterns and biases, and work towards making more rational and informed decisions. This can lead to improved problem-solving, better interpersonal relationships, and a more logical and rational society as a whole.