Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic Final Review

1. Nov 19, 2007 #1
    I'm studying for my logic final and I cant seem to find an answer for this practice problem:

(Using < as proper subset since I dont have the right type)

T_1 < T_2 < T_3... be a strictly increasing sequence of satisfiable L-Theories.

a) Show that the union of T_n is satisfiable (over all n in the natural numbers).

b) Show that the union of T_n is not finitely axiomatizable.

A) Pretty simple, every finite subset is satisfiable since the largets T_n is satisfiable thus by compactness their entire union is satisfiable.

B) This is were I have some problems. I'm not sure how to go about showing this. I want to show that any finite amount of sentances can only axiomatize up to T_n and then we can simply show that T_n+1 is not axiomatized. Any ideas on this?

EDIT: I posted this in the wrong forum apparently, if anyone could move it to the logic section I would appreciate it.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2
    The midterm is over though I would still like to know how to solve this problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?