1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing Logic gate in Physics GRE

1. Dec 25, 2012 #1
    I viewed previous tests on the internet.
    There are logic gate problems in a test.
    What subject do this logic gates problems belong to?
    What book do you recommend for understatnding this subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Electronics course,

this may be too detailed but it does explain them:

http://www.opamp-electronics.com/tutorials/digital_theory_ch_003.htm [Broken]

We used to work with truth tables, karnaugh maps and boolean algebra as part of our logic gate understanding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karnaugh_map

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Dec 25, 2012 #3
    I found a lot of answers to my questions in Malvino's "Electronic Principles", which I use for my electronics course. It's overkill for sure, but reading a few of the chapters and multiple choice questions at the end of each chapter is probably enough to answer everything I've seen on the pgre.

5. Dec 25, 2012 #4
    Is this subject usually taken by physics student? It seems like my university's physics department doesn't offer electronics course.

6. Dec 25, 2012 #5
    What do you think about this book?
    Foundations of Analog and Digital Electronic Circuits, Anant Agarwal.

7. Dec 25, 2012 #6
    Depends on the university, some offer multiple electronics courses, some offer none.

Good books are Microelectronics by Sedra and Smith and the Art of Electronics by Horowitz.

The book by Agarwal is probably good, his MIT lectures on electronics were worth watching.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook