1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic gate technology

1. Mar 13, 2015 #1
    The problem statement
    Hi
    I'm writing a report on a design of a basic all-NAND circuit.
    In reality, how are these circuits made ? Do we just use TTL etc. integrated circuits and combine them as necessary?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2015 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do you understand why you might want to restrict yourself to using only NAND gates?

4. Mar 13, 2015 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

So long as you stick with the one technology, e.g., TTL, you can connect up gates as needed. That's 99% correct.

5. Mar 13, 2015 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Some options include NMOS logic, PMOS logic, DTL, TTL, ECL; The popularity of these methods in microprocessor design has decreased in place of CMOS logic.

6. Mar 13, 2015 #5

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Can I recommend this link http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/Digital/DIGI_3.html#xtocid1010712
    It's a bit long-winded but covers basic gates pretty thoroughly. In here you will find an exact answer to your question - "all-NAND" (at least, it is there: whether you'll find it, is another matter! I found it, but I knew what I was looking for.)
    It covers both xTL and CMOS logic, so whichever type you choose to talk about, the same info is there.

"In reality, how are these circuits made ? Do we just use TTL etc. integrated circuits and combine them as necessary?"
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. Of course people do combine ICs as necessary, but I think the "all-NAND" concept is referring to how we design the ICs in the first place.

7. Mar 14, 2015 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indeed. Some technologies favour NAND gates. If I remember correctly ECL favours NOR gates.

8. Mar 14, 2015 #7
    Thanks everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted