• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Logic gate technology

• Thread starter axe34
  • Start date
The problem statement
Hi
I'm writing a report on a design of a basic all-NAND circuit.
In reality, how are these circuits made ? Do we just use TTL etc. integrated circuits and combine them as necessary?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Do you understand why you might want to restrict yourself to using only NAND gates?

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Do we just use TTL etc. integrated circuits and combine them as necessary?
So long as you stick with the one technology, e.g., TTL, you can connect up gates as needed. That's 99% correct.

Zondrina
Homework Helper
Some options include NMOS logic, PMOS logic, DTL, TTL, ECL; The popularity of these methods in microprocessor design has decreased in place of CMOS logic.

Merlin3189
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Can I recommend this link http://www.ibiblio.org/kuphaldt/electricCircuits/Digital/DIGI_3.html#xtocid1010712
It's a bit long-winded but covers basic gates pretty thoroughly. In here you will find an exact answer to your question - "all-NAND" (at least, it is there: whether you'll find it, is another matter! I found it, but I knew what I was looking for.)
It covers both xTL and CMOS logic, so whichever type you choose to talk about, the same info is there.

"In reality, how are these circuits made ? Do we just use TTL etc. integrated circuits and combine them as necessary?"
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. Of course people do combine ICs as necessary, but I think the "all-NAND" concept is referring to how we design the ICs in the first place.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Indeed. Some technologies favour NAND gates. If I remember correctly ECL favours NOR gates.

Thanks everyone.