Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic gate XOR and XNOR

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1
    I want to simplfy M'(A'B'C+ABC')+M(AB'C'+A'BC) to as simple a circuit as possible.

I don't know the boolean algebra to simplfy the ABC terms. Help please, Speck
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2
    Tried K-maps?

From quick Venn inspection of (A'B'C+ABC') and (AB'C'+A'BC), I don't think you can simplify them further using AND, OR, NOT only
  4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    K-map is how I initial got the Eq. , right, it won't simplify with AND, OR, NOT. I want to use XOR with XNOR gates. I would really like it to simplify to something like (AB Oplus C) using XOR, but it does not. Thks, Speck
  5. Oct 12, 2008 #4
    Does anyone think that the (A'B'C+ABC') part of the Eq. will reduce to (A Oplus B Oplus C)?
  6. Oct 12, 2008 #5
    By simple, do you mean the least number of packages? It's trivial with a single PLA, but you'd need a burner...
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  7. Oct 13, 2008 #6
    I tried to put it into XOR/XNOR but I really couldn't find any way.

P.S. (I learned this stuff few weeks ago, so all I know is that there should be checkboard pattern)

Now that I said that I realized that there is infact a pattern and it is easier to isolate it when you look at it. You gotta approach it differently.
    See K-Map When A = 0 and C = 1
    A = 1 C = 0

I get something like

A!C!(B XOR M) + A!C (M XOR B)

So far, I look at K-Map and try to isolate 2 literal K-Maps that look like XOR and "and" it with conditions like A = 1 and C = 0 .. It works so far
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  8. Nov 15, 2008 #7
    Another PLA-type cheater's answer: use a multiplexer. Input ABCM as the addresses, hardwire the 16 inputs to 1 or 0 to synthetise the desired logic function. The 4067 is such a 16-to-1 mux-demux and seems to be still relatively common (hey, I just feel younger!). One single package, no programming needed.

For a non-cheater answer, you'll have to wait a bit more. M and B have similar roles, as do A and C, so combining these pairs first could bring something.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  9. Nov 15, 2008 #8
    (A xnor C) nor (B xor M)
    please check!

It's not "the simplest" form for the number of packages on a breadboard.

In a chip, I guess it's not the minimum number of Mos neither, as an xor or an xnor needs two inverters and 8 transistors, and a 16-to-1 mux also needs one inverter per input and this function consumes 16 N-channels and 16 P-channels.

Well, this form must be the simplest in the mind of some teacher at least.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?