Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic Gates - 1 Bit Computer

1. Nov 17, 2004 #1
    Anyone know of a site that explains a 1 bit computer made from logic gates, or at least what all is needed for a one bit computer (all I know is an ALU)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2004 #2
    I have a one-bit computer. It is HP 9830. I got it back in 1975 and it came with basic built in. You could check with HP for their circuit. The whole thing is made with discrete ICs and the standard memory cards were 4K.

4. Nov 17, 2004 #3

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Dumb Question. How would that constitute a 1 bit computer?
    I don't know the internals of the 9830, but the things I do know about, from the early 70's, used either 4 or 8 bits.

5. Nov 17, 2004 #4
    You don’t want to make statements like that. It tells everyone more about you than you want them to know. Find out about bit manipulation. You will be surprised what you are able to do.

6. Nov 17, 2004 #5

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what your point is here.
    One thing for certain you did not answer my question.

Considering that I designed hardware, I suspect that my knowledge of bit manipulation is probably quite suficient.

You can start by telling me what you think a bit is.

7. Nov 17, 2004 #6

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

8. Nov 17, 2004 #7

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks, quite different from my idea of what was being asked.
    I was thinking "one rule" in terms that your link uses.

9. Nov 19, 2004 #8
    The 9830 has a processor that does 16 bits in its total process but does one bit manipulation at a time. It is therefore a one-bit processor. Since you design hardware you should understand single bit manipulation and how you can process 8 bit bytes one bit at a time. An 8 bit processor today processes all 8 bits at the same time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?