ASIC Logic Gates NAND Homework: Solving 2-Input NAND Gate Circuit

In summary, the conversation is about designing a logic circuit using only NAND gates to meet certain requirements for a water tank system. The conversation also includes discussion about converting truth tables to Boolean algebra and simplifying the resulting equations. One person shares their solution using AND and OR gates, while another person shares a solution using only 2-input NAND gates. The conversation also includes a discussion about using LTspice to model circuits and the benefits of doing so.
bradzyc

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,

Very new to this forum so please bear with me!

I have an assignment as part of my engineering course that I seem to be struggling with so I'm wondering if I can grab some help.

Basically I have a water tank that feeds three separate processed (A, B, C). When any two of the processes are in operation at the same time, a signal is required to start a pump to maintain the head of water in the tank. I have to design a logic circuit using only NAND gates to meet the requirements. Then devise a logic circuit using only NOR and NOT gates.

Just a quick note also, the NAND gates can only be 2 Input NAND gates and not the 3 Input ones.

Homework Equations

Truth Table for all possible states and the required output
A B C P
0 0 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 1 0 0
1 0 0 0
0 1 1 1
1 0 1 1
1 1 0 1
1 1 1 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I was not present during this lesson due to work requirements so I'm wondering, how would I go about doing this because at the moment, I'm just using trial and error and having to constantly redraw the circuit out and test different activated processed (i.e. A=1, B=0, C=1) until I seem to get the right answer. However, I have not got this yet.If anyone could point me in the right direction or help then it would be much appreciated.

Cheers People!
B

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you design it using AND and OR gates and then replace them with NAND gate equivalents?

You can convert your truth table into Boolean algebra by looking at the lines where P is true:

P = B.C + A.C + ... (you can complete this line)

Next, can you simplify this line?

NascentOxygen said:
You can convert your truth table into Boolean algebra by looking at the lines where P is true:

P = B.C + A.C + ... (you can complete this line)

Next, can you simplify this line?
Hi.

Yes I already have P=B.C + A.C + A.B

Isn't this the simplest it can be whilst conforming to De Morgan's laws?

jedishrfu said:
Can you design it using AND and OR gates and then replace them with NAND gate equivalents?
Hi,

I have already designed it with AND and OR gates however I can't understand how to convert this to NAND

Sorry guys just been told that we can use a 3 input NAND and solved it.

C and B connected to NAND 1
C and A connected to NAND 2
B and A connected to NAND 3

Then all 3 NAND's connecting to a final NAND

Many thanks for all your help!
B

So, just for fun, why not complete it with just 2ip NANDs !
Takes me 7 NANDs (and maybe 2 minutes), but I don't use any DeMorgan or Boolean algebra, so there may well be shorter ways.

Merlin3189 said:
So, just for fun, why not complete it with just 2ip NANDs !
Takes me 7 NANDs (and maybe 2 minutes), but I don't use any DeMorgan or Boolean algebra, so there may well be shorter ways.
Why not! Could you show me your solution? I'm really not getting it!

Ok. Of course, when I typed it up, I found an error and now it is 8 gates!

I've done a drawing and also an Excel spreadsheet which I think may be helpful.
Drawing is attached. I can't attach the Excel (AFAIK), but I've attached a screenshot.
Nand.png
NandSS.png

My thinking was, the first level of nands will be low if both inputs are true, so I need any of the outputs to be low.

Second layer, if all inputs are high, output will be low, so I need either of them to output high, showing an input was low.

Now is where I made my error and had to correct it by inverting these outputs.
If I invert them, then I need either inverted output to be low.

The final nand is high unless both its inputs are high, so it is high if either input is low.

I know that is probably confusing! It's hard to explain my thinking process.
1 - I just believed it must be possible
2 - 3 inputs mean 3 pairs so 3 nands. That gives me signals showing a pair of 1's
3 - I've got to get it down to 2, so try combining with just 2 nands and see what I get
4 - Now I've got a 1 if any of the pairs was good.
5 - Nand is no use to spot a single 1, so invert them to spot a single 0
6 - Final nand is high if either input is 0.

Final bit of info. I tried to do an LTspice circuit of this, but could not manage that(!), so I went to my old friend Excel. The screen I show is the result. AB&C are the inputs, E,F&G are the first level Nands and so on.
So the formula in column E is =Not(And(Ax,Bx)) using Not(And) because there is no Nand.
Column I is =Not(And(Ex,Fx))
Column L is = Not(And(Ix,Ix)) just to show I'm not cheating! I could have simply put = Not(Ix)
And final column O is =Not(And(Lx,Mx))

I have highlighted the rows which should give a True (1) output.

No doubt the methods taught in your course are better and I do use some of them sometimes. But I really like to see what is going on, if I can. The comment someone made about using LTspice is probably very good advice. Make up circuits in whatever modelling system you can (even Excel!) and play around.

Likes NascentOxygen

1. What is an ASIC logic gate?

An ASIC (Application-Specific Integrated Circuit) logic gate is a specialized electronic component that performs logical operations based on input signals. It is commonly used in digital circuits to control the flow of information.

2. How does a NAND gate work?

A NAND (Not AND) gate is a type of logic gate that produces an output of 0 only when both of its inputs are 1. Otherwise, the output is 1. It is essentially the opposite of an AND gate.

3. How do you solve a 2-input NAND gate circuit?

To solve a 2-input NAND gate circuit, you first need to identify the input signals and their corresponding truth values. Then, you can use a truth table to determine the output for each possible combination of inputs. Finally, you can simplify the expression using Boolean algebra to obtain the final output expression.

4. What is the difference between a NAND gate and a NOR gate?

A NAND gate produces an output of 0 only when both inputs are 1, while a NOR (Not OR) gate produces an output of 1 only when both inputs are 0. In other words, a NAND gate is the inverse of an AND gate, while a NOR gate is the inverse of an OR gate.

5. What are the practical applications of NAND gates?

NAND gates are commonly used in digital circuits to perform logical operations and implement functions such as data storage, signal processing, and control. They are also used in memory devices, microcontrollers, and microprocessors.