Does a Valid Rule of Inference Always Lead to a True Conclusion?

In summary, a valid rule of inference does not always lead to a true conclusion. A rule of inference is a prescription to produce valid statements from other valid statements, but the truth of the conclusion also depends on the truth of the hypothesis. If the hypothesis is false, a valid argument can lead to a false conclusion. However, if the hypothesis is true, a valid argument will always lead to a true conclusion. This is known as soundness, which states that deductions lead only to correct conclusions.
mamma_mia66
Must a valid rule of inference always lead to a true conclusion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry I posted my question by mistake in Number Theory section. Please ignore it or delete it from there.

My question is: Must a valid rule of inference always lead to a true conclusion?

A rule of inference is a prescription to produce a (set of) valid statement(s) from a (set of) valid statement(s).
So by definition, the answer is "yes" :smile:

Yes, unless the system is inconsistent. Remember to use only valid terms, though -- no barbershop paradox!

mamma_mia66 said:
I am sorry I posted my question by mistake in Number Theory section. Please ignore it or delete it from there.

My question is: Must a valid rule of inference always lead to a true conclusion?

No

Example:

If London is in England then Paris is in Spain.But London is in England thus Paris is in Spain

Here we have a valid argument with false conclusion

The rule of inference used here is M.Ponens,because if we put :

London is in England=p...Paris is in Spain=q the above argument takes the form:

p----->q & p and using M.Ponens the conclusion is q which is false

CompuChip said:
A rule of inference is a prescription to produce a (set of) valid statement(s) from a (set of) valid statement(s).
So by definition, the answer is "yes" :smile:

Valid is NOT the same as true. A sequence of statements is "valid" if the truth of each implies the truth of the next. But if the first statement (the hypothesis) is false, a valid argument can lead to a false conclusion.

for example, "A=>B and B=> C, therefore A=> C" is a valid argument. If A is "A person has brown hair", B is "a Person has brown eyes", and C is "a person is 6 feet tall", the argument is still VALID but the conclusion "If a person has brown hair then a person is 6 feet tall" if false because the hypothesis is false.

The fact is that neither symbolic logic, nor mathematics in general is concerned with true statements. They are concerned with valid arguments.

This was also asked in "Sets, Probabilty, and Logic" so I am merging the two threads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundness"
If Γ ⊢ P, then Γ ⊨ P.

Soundness tells that deductions lead only to "correct" conclusions.

If the deductive system is not sound, a proof might lead to a wrong conclusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I notice you do not use the word "valid", which was the crucial question! The link you post defines an argument to be "sound" if and only if both the argument is valid and the hypothesis are true.

The question was whether a valid argument must always lead to a true conclusion.

The answer to that question is "No". A valid argument, with a false hypothesis, can lead to a false conclusion.

It is, of course, true that a valid argument, with a true hypothesis must lead to a true conclusion- that's pretty much the definition of "valid" argument- but "validity" of an argument is independent of the truth or falsity of either its hypothesis or conclusion separately.

Surprise everyone. This was an extra credits question. And the answer is NO. I was disappointed too. But I really didn't understand way is NO?

Ok, Thank you. Someone ggot it right.

mamma_mia66 said:
Surprise everyone. This was an extra credits question. And the answer is NO. I was disappointed too. But I really didn't understand way is NO?
So now you are saying you were lying to us by not posting this in the "homework and schoolwork" area?

What do you mean I was lying. This was not homework question at all. This was an supplementary exersices called for extra credits. I didn't not use this for school extra credits. I just wanted to know why the answer was given NO. I had my answer YES. I am sorry for the missunderstanding.

mamma_mia66 said:
I just wanted to know why the answer was given NO. I had my answer YES.
Well, don't worry about it too much. I fell for it, too.

mamma_mia66 said:
What do you mean I was lying. This was not homework question at all. This was an supplementary exersices called for extra credits. I didn't not use this for school extra credits. I just wanted to know why the answer was given NO. I had my answer YES. I am sorry for the missunderstanding.
I apologize. You said earlier it was an extra credit problem, not just that it was in a section labled "for extra credit".

I got one of my logic HW questions wrong can anyone help me prove the following?

-(-P v -Q) therefore (P & Q)

Yeah, that's pretty much one of De Morgan's laws.

bettydlgc said:
I got one of my logic HW questions wrong can anyone help me prove the following?

-(-P v -Q) therefore (P & Q)

The general formula for De Morgan law is :

~(AvB) ===> ~A& ~B SO if you put A= ~P and B=~Q you will get P&Q assuming of course that ~(~P)=P AND ~(~Q)=Q ,UNLESS you want a proof of the De Morgan law

1. What is the purpose of logic in proofs?

Logic is a fundamental tool in proving the validity of mathematical statements. It allows us to use a set of assumptions or axioms to logically derive new conclusions.

2. What are the basic principles of logic used in proofs?

The basic principles of logic used in proofs include the law of identity, law of non-contradiction, and law of excluded middle. These principles help ensure that the conclusions drawn from a proof are logically sound.

3. How do you construct a valid proof using logic?

To construct a valid proof using logic, you must start with a set of axioms or assumptions, and then use logical reasoning to derive new conclusions based on these initial statements. Each step in the proof must follow the rules of logic and must be supported by previous statements.

4. What are common mistakes to avoid when using logic in proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using logic in proofs include circular reasoning, invalid assumptions, and fallacies such as affirming the consequent or denying the antecedent.

5. How can one improve their logical reasoning skills for proofs?

To improve logical reasoning skills for proofs, one can practice solving different types of logical problems, study the rules and principles of logic, and seek feedback and guidance from experienced mathematicians or logicians.