Find Logic Classes in the US: Course Code & Info

In summary, Jeffasinger suggests that a course in Mathematical Logic may be a good option for someone interested in taking a logic class, as it would cover the topics in Enderton's book comprehensively. She also notes that philosophy departments often offer such courses, which are more comprehensive than those found in math or computer science departments.
HeLiXe
I would really like to take a logic class, but I can only find philosophy classes that have logic. Have you ever taken a logic class with philosophy? If so, did it cover logic exhaustively? Do you know if there are any classes that have logic solely? If so, what was the course code for that class? Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm under the impression that many math departments offer a junior or senior level math elective called Mathematical Logic, covering most of the topics in Enderton's An Introduction to Mathematical Logic.

My home school has a class in Logic from the philosophy department, and also one in the Math Department, and from talking to other undergrads, it seems that its not at all an uncommon situation.

Thanks Jeffasinger. I'll look for a course description of mathematical logic.

I took a couple classes in symbolic logic from the philosophy department that were based on an updated version of https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195155041/?tag=pfamazon01-20 book. The classes focused on predicate and quantifier logic as well as symbolizing written English. The philosophy department also offers metalogic and modal logic. None of the classes teach the same material as the class on Mathematical Logic (Description: Introduction to mathematical logic, aiming primarily at completeness and incompleteness theorems of Gödel. Propositional and predicate logic; syntax and semantics; formal deduction; completeness, compactness, and Löwenheim/Skolem theorems. Formal number theory: nonstandard models; Gödel incompleteness theorem.) There's also computability theory and set theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
A single course won't be exhaustive. Upper level logic courses in philosophy departments will cover Goedel and contemporary topics. Philosophy departments cover the topic exhaustively, and philosophy is the right department for logic. Logic in math or CS may touch on foundations but they will typically have a more applied focus.

If by logic you just mean rational, analytical thinking or argument, you might want to check out and intro philosophy course.

Last edited:
tcbh said:
I took a couple classes in symbolic logic from the philosophy department that were based on an updated version of https://www.amazon.com/dp/0195155041/?tag=pfamazon01-20 book. The classes focused on predicate and quantifier logic as well as symbolizing written English. The philosophy department also offers metalogic and modal logic. None of the classes teach the same material as the class on Mathematical Logic (Description: Introduction to mathematical logic, aiming primarily at completeness and incompleteness theorems of Gödel. Propositional and predicate logic; syntax and semantics; formal deduction; completeness, compactness, and Löwenheim/Skolem theorems. Formal number theory: nonstandard models; Gödel incompleteness theorem.) There's also computability theory and set theory.

Great! Thanks for the information. I had logic class throughout elementary school which was basically predicate logic -- like first order without symbolism if that makes sense. Some types of logic you mention, I have never heard of before, so I will look into them further. Thank you very much, I really appreciate your response!

Last edited by a moderator:
kote said:
A single course won't be exhaustive. Upper level logic courses in philosophy departments will cover Goedel and contemporary topics. Philosophy departments cover the topic exhaustively, and philosophy is the right department for logic. Logic in math or CS may touch on foundations but they will typically have a more applied focus.

If by logic you just mean rational, analytical thinking or argument, you might want to check out and intro philosophy course.

Thanks kote, I realize that a single course will not be entirely exhaustive...and there are some areas of logic I am not acquainted with (which is why I would appreciate taking some classes). In my search for classes that have logic, I could only find intro to philosophy or lower level philosophy courses--which is not what I am interested in. I am actually in a lower level philosophy class now. Thanks for the information, I appreciate your response.

1. What is a Logic class?

A Logic class is an academic course that teaches principles and techniques for reasoning and critical thinking. It covers topics such as deductive and inductive reasoning, logical fallacies, and formal logic systems.

2. What are the benefits of taking a Logic class?

Taking a Logic class can improve your critical thinking skills, help you make more informed decisions, and enhance your problem-solving abilities. It can also be beneficial for students pursuing careers in fields such as law, philosophy, and mathematics.

3. How do I find Logic classes in the US?

You can find Logic classes in the US by searching for them on university or college websites, using online course directories, or consulting with academic advisors. You can also check with your local community college or adult education center.

4. What is the course code for a Logic class?

The course code for a Logic class may vary depending on the institution. It is typically a combination of letters and numbers that uniquely identifies the course. You can find the course code by searching for the specific Logic class you are interested in.

5. What information should I look for when researching Logic classes in the US?

When researching Logic classes in the US, you should look for the course description, prerequisites, learning objectives, and instructor information. You should also check the course schedule, location, and tuition fees to ensure it fits your academic and financial needs.