Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic of the set analyzer

1. Sep 11, 2005 #1
    "logic of the set" analyzer

I'll start from an example.
    There's a given set of positive integers: {2, 4, 6, 8, 10}. The problem is to estimate a (relative) probability for any number (not included into the set) to follow the logic of the set. For the example above, the probable logic is: even numbers only. Following this conclusion one can say that numbers 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 have the same and higher probability (=1) to follow set's logic, then numbers 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 (probability=0).
    But the problem can be not so simple for a different set of data. E.g.: the set is {1, 3, 7, 11, 19, 21, 28, 31, 47, 53, 62, 69, 75, 76, 82, 98}. The problem is to estimate the relative probability for numbers 700, 800 and 900 to follow the logic of the set.

Now, my question is:
    Does anybody know about existing piece of software (computer algebra of any kind - Mathematica, Maple, Mathcad, etc., Excel add-in, graph analyzer, some stand-alone product) that can perform that kind of estimation?

I would be very grateful,

P.S. The application of this is number theory, specifically prime numbers. Examples of crazy unpredictable sets are available for example here: http://www.prothsearch.net/riesel2.html.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could throw in the numbers you have into a statistical estimation routine and run a probability estimation program like LOGIT or PROBIT. Examples of this kind of software are Limdep, SAS, Stata, EViews, Mathematica, Maple, etc. The model I would use would be:

Binary 0 or 1 = Probit(char1, char2, ..., charN)

where each "char" is a distinct characteristic of the numbers in the set. In your even numbers example, N=1 and char1 = 1 if the number is even, char1 = 0 if it is odd.

For the set {1, 9, 25, 49, 81}, N=2 and char1 = 1 if the number is a perfect square, char = 0 if it is not a perfect square, char2 = 1 if the number is odd, char2 = 0 if it is even.
  4. Sep 11, 2005 #3
    Thanks a lot, EnumaElish.
    The keywords were LOGIT and PROBIT. And I found a lot of software in the Inet (e.g.: http://www.oswego.edu/~economic/econsoftware.htm). I'll try to test the soft on my data. Hopefully, some of it will return a good result.
    Thanks again,
  5. Aug 24, 2008 #4
    Re: "logic of the set" analyzer

I am A new one ....and I want someone hlep me in eviews ..how can I get this assisstance,...........
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?