1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic prep

1. Jun 22, 2008 #1
    Would taking an intro to logic course help me prepare for the abstract proof writing skills that I'll need in upper division math?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2008 #2
    Probably not.

Some departments carry a proof-writing course under one title or another. Ask yours if they have one.

4. Jun 22, 2008 #3
    Thats the problem. They don't offer one. They say that the prep comes while taking upper div linear algebra. But wouldn't that be too risky?

5. Jun 22, 2008 #4
    why? from what i've seen linear algebra proofs are very straight forward.

the only think you should be familiar with to write proofs is material implication, converse, contrapositive, and the two existential quantifiers.

after that you should be familiar with what it means to prove logical equivalence and set equivalence and material implication and set inclusion.

if you want i can help you.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  6. Jun 22, 2008 #5
  7. Jun 22, 2008 #6
    solows book is over kill and filled with umm filler. i think tomorrow i'll sit down and write a short but sweet tutorial on how to do proofs for PF

8. Jun 22, 2008 #7
    Good, do it. :biggrin:

Really, it's not that hard - provided you're regularly hitting up your TA or prof to make sure you're not missing anything they expect.

9. Jun 22, 2008 #8
    meh i'll admit most of the time i'm too lazy to check my own proofs but most of the time i know when theres a gap somewhere in my reasoning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?