1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic problem about tennis

Tags:
  1. Jul 29, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Pat beat Stacy in a set of tennis, winning six games to Stacy’s three. Five games were won by the player who did not serve. Who served first?
    source: https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-s34-problem-solving-seminar-fall-2007/assignments/hw8.pdf
    2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since Pat won 6 games which is at least 5 games then she is the player who did not serve. Since Pat never served then she could not be the one who served first. Therefore, Stacy. Is my line of reasoning correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2017 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Your line of reasoning has at least one error and could use a bit more explanation.

In tennis, the serve alternates in a given set, from one game to the next.

There were 9 games, so one of the players served 5 games, the other 4.

Therefore, it's wrong to say that "Pat never served".

4. Jul 31, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

This could have been clearer: five games were won by the player who was not the server in that game.

5. Aug 1, 2017 #4
    Since the server alternates and either one could have been the first server the only possible set of servers can be PSPSPSPSP or SPSPSPSPS

6. Aug 1, 2017 #5

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

One thing that you can deduce is that Pat won the last game (ending the set). It is sort of obvious, but should help in determining who served on that game.

7. Aug 1, 2017 #6

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was able to work out a scenario for one of the players starting the serve, but not yet with the other one. I am guessing that this is what they were looking for.

8. Aug 1, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@Terrell, it looks like you are unfamiliar with the rules of tennis. You need to know that the set ends if one player has won six games and the other fewer than 5.
    So who won the last game?

9. Aug 1, 2017 #8
    let me clarify. Do I need to win a set first so I can win each remaining set with only 5 games? I'm totally unfamiliar to the rules except I need to be the first one to win 6 games within a set to win that set.

10. Aug 1, 2017 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you read each of the replies ?

11. Aug 1, 2017 #10
    But the problem directly stated "Five games were won by the player who did not serve". What does the problem mean by that?

12. Aug 1, 2017 #11
    If my understanding of the problem is correct. The player who won is the player winning each of the 5 games she did not serve? So it must be the scenario: SPSPSPSPS. Therefore, Stacy served first is the answer.

13. Aug 1, 2017 #12
    that is a hundred times clearer for me. thanks!

14. Aug 1, 2017 #13

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, and Pat won each of the 5 games in which Stacy served, plus one more - one of the games in which Pat served.

Added in Edit:
    Ignore this post of mine. Obviously it is incorrect.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  15. Aug 1, 2017 #14
    thank you!

16. Aug 1, 2017 #15

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. In each game, one player serves, the other receives. Five of the games were won by the receiver in that game. Some of these may have been won by Pat, the rest by Stacy.

17. Aug 1, 2017 #16

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Please see post #15.

18. Aug 1, 2017 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That makes no sense.
    There is only one set here. It consists of a sequence of games.
    Yes. (There is a bit more to it, but not that's relevant to this question.)
    And of course the set ends as soon as someone has won it. So who won the last game?

19. Aug 2, 2017 #18

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Even if you don't know the rules of tennis, the problem states that Pat won 6 games, Stacy won 3 games. There were no other games played. As posted previously, the set ended when Pat won for the 6th time.

20. Aug 2, 2017 #19
    okay. that complicates things. hmmm

21. Aug 2, 2017 #20

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not necessarily. There were a total of 9 games played. Each of those games was won by a person. They tell you that 5 of those 9 games were won by the person who received (did not serve for that game). So you know that 4 of the games were won by a person that served.

It may be that Pat won 5 games that she received in, or maybe some other combination that can be figured out. It should be obvious that Pat achieved the 6th win on the last game, ending the set.

We have two serve possibilities: PSPSPSPSP or SPSPSPSPS. Take one of these, and look at Pat winning the last game. Then see if you can fit the other criteria. Then look at the other possibility, see if you can fit the criteria into that one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted