1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic Programming

1. Jul 1, 2004 #1
    Hey guys;

Are there any logic programs to solve logic questions? I mean, the stuff like where you prove an argument valid or invalid with sentence letters.

Like with this (i'm totally making this up, I dont' know if its valid or invalid, just giving an example).

(A v F) > (B*C)
    F == C
    ~Q
    ----------
    F v I

Or whatever, you know what I mean? My logic teacher talked about how a computer could solve them, but was talking about using the 2^X rule to solve it (say 2^6 in this case cause there is 6 different sentence letters.) I have only a shy background in computer science, and I'm curious if you could only solve these types of problems using a huge loop, or if you could solve them by interpretation, and which way would be easier?

Thank you,
    AYCHAMO!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see how it would be too hard to create a program with the appropriate axioms, definitions, and rules of inference to solve logical problems. Solving these logical questions is mostly just a matter of following the rules of inference, I would imagine, and computer's are made to follow logical rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?