Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic Programming

1. Jul 1, 2004 #1
    Hey guys;

Are there any logic programs to solve logic questions? I mean, the stuff like where you prove an argument valid or invalid with sentence letters.

Like with this (i'm totally making this up, I dont' know if its valid or invalid, just giving an example).

(A v F) > (B*C)
    F == C
    ~Q
    ----------
    F v I

Or whatever, you know what I mean? My logic teacher talked about how a computer could solve them, but was talking about using the 2^X rule to solve it (say 2^6 in this case cause there is 6 different sentence letters.) I have only a shy background in computer science, and I'm curious if you could only solve these types of problems using a huge loop, or if you could solve them by interpretation, and which way would be easier?

Thank you,
    AYCHAMO!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see how it would be too hard to create a program with the appropriate axioms, definitions, and rules of inference to solve logical problems. Solving these logical questions is mostly just a matter of following the rules of inference, I would imagine, and computer's are made to follow logical rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?