What are some top logic/proof/puzzle games for puzzle enthusiasts?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary: I think it was Russian, I can't remember, I saw a video of someone playing a game of minesweeper at 800x600 and maxing out at 1200x800. That's when I knew I needed to start trying to improve.I think it would be a good idea to practice more often, and not just for speed. Accuracy and consistency are important in any game.
mattmns
Hello everyone. Just curious about some of your favorite logic/proof/puzzle games. For example minesweeper is a great proof game imo. However, I have self proclaimed myself as being a king of minesweeper logic, and therefore am looking for a new game to master. :smile: All suggestions welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
haha what are your fastest minesweeper times for Int and exp. mine are 28-33(can't remmeber the exact number and 75

Bridge is a good logic game. mmm spades is also ok

oh and my favorite chinese mahjong-shanghai rules...not the mahjong as portrayed in windows or in most online versions...but the ones played in real life.
And i repeat hongkong/cantonese/western mahjong rules suck!. Taiwanese rules are ok its like a larger version of rummy.

Last edited:
Mastermind

I play this one sometimes, its kind of fun...somewhere is a group mastermind game too.

My minesweeper times for int: 27, exp: 92. Yes they are not the best, in fact they can hardly compare to the times at http://metanoodle.com/minesweeper/ However, I meant I have mastered the minesweeper logic as in proving every move, except for those damn 50/50 guesses, and a few other situations. I am terrible in how I play in the sense of time. I usually play to win rather than for fast times. Although I believe there is a ton of logic in playing for speed, I am terrible at following the rules: ie, I mark mines too much, rather than just when it will save clicks.

I have played a bit of spades, always wanted to try out bridge, I will check that out. I guess I should really continue practicing chess, but I seem to be terrible at it lol. I will check out Mastermind in a second, thanks both of you!

edit... I remember mastermind now :smile:

Last edited:
lol you mark the mines...yeah there is a lot more logic explored when your racing at a faster pace...because there is things you just see instantly but you would be like man if i was any slower i wouldn't have seen it.

Master mind is a good kids game =]...i wish had that to play with my niece and yes chess it a good game but i don't have the patience or tension span. p lus to be great oyu got to learn all those past games.

jesus there are some people with sub 50 on exp...must be a lot of time spent clicking for big areas. wish i new about this site when i was at the height of my minesweeper game...would be nice because its got better scores then some of the ones I've seen. HAHHA and some people have 1 on beginner what are they doing playing 320x280 screen size?

Last edited:
Yeah I have tried no marking for expert but I just get lost after a while and end up being slower. Also, I think that certain things should be marked, because with the middle click you can take advantage. The problem is that once I mark one thing I end up marking everything. However, my best intermediate is one in where I did not flag.

edit... lol 1 on beginner is just asbolute luck, or click, f2, click, f2, click, f2, click, f2, click, f2, click, f2, click, f2, click, f2, click, f2, click, f2, ...

edit2... That site has videos too lol, I will admit that I have recorded a few of my games :smile:

Last edited:
Hey I just beat expert w/o flagging, 171 seconds, a start though :smile:

=] try not to think so much and go around the borders of areas and clean them out. The faster you go the more assumptions/estimations you can make.

I enjoy chess and go, chess problems too. I also like crytograms.

Connect four counts, right? I love that game because it's simple and quick but can take a lot of thinking/planning.

Go looks interesting, thanks for the suggestion!

Connect 4 is a good game. The one that comes with most linux distros, or I should say gnome, is very difficult to beat.

Bahaha, the resident minesweeper king has arrived.
Beginner: 2 seconds
Intermediate: 19 seconds
Expert: 74 seconds

Greatest game ever, I'm playing right now.

Yeah, yeah. I am working on lowering my score. It would help if I was not so damn jumpy with the mouse.

The cool thing with minesweeper is not only does it take intelligence to figure out strategies, it also takes quickness and efficiency to solve it quicker. The first time I beat expert it took me 800 seconds. Now I beat it 10 times faster, since I know a lot more. A while ago I thought there was no way I could beat 150, I'm so proud of myself :cry:.

Yeah I honestly thought I was the king of the game until I checked out that website. From there I started learning the logic behind the game. Playing it slow until I could solve each game with very few or no guesses at all, which is where I am at now. Also what has come from this is a bit of where to click logic which is important too. Personally I need to find a good mix of flagging and using the middle click and not flagging, because right now I am slow because I flag too much.

mattmns said:
Yeah I honestly thought I was the king of the game until I checked out that website. From there I started learning the logic behind the game. Playing it slow until I could solve each game with very few or no guesses at all, which is where I am at now. Also what has come from this is a bit of where to click logic which is important too. Personally I need to find a good mix of flagging and using the middle click and not flagging, because right now I am slow because I flag too much.

I've noticed if I play a cuople games of intermediate without flagging, I finish in the upper 20s lower 30s. Then if I switch to expert and alternate flagging/nonflagging I get through the game much quicker ( I usually die before finishing :cry:)

Go(aka iGo) is really a nice game. It has a history of thousands years ago. It needs logical thinking and strategies. Besides, u will be trained to be patient. If u have some time, it will be really worth trying.

flaggin? you don't need to flag...the maps aren't very huge. What resolution size do you guys play at/and height of desk...i find these to be the most importnat ppt while playing mindsweeper it easier to play at 800x600 but i didn't like to change my resolution size. My desk is now to high and kills my wrist/and i can't move faster...i should lower it but I got 2 monitors stacked on and its going to fall.

Not a big fan of GO...i prefer chinese chess and connect 5. BTW i hat ethe horse in western chess. horse rules in chinese chess are much better...

I play on 1280x1024. I usually end up not flagginga bout 30 mines out of the 99, but I'm tryin to get it closer to half and half. I've won entire games without flagging usually in the 90 second range, but some (that I've lost) were close to the 60s.

I play on 1280 x 1024 too. I just recently changed my mouse speed to see if it helps. No major difference so far.

Last edited:
don't middle click...tap both mouse buttons...same effect...i find middle clicking is unnatural to my brain...
try playing at 800x600...i go really fast because my mouse movements are more precise because of the larger boxes

gj...now only if you can do that on exp..i get about 31 on int..thogh my best before was 25..i hate formatting it ruins all the nice scores.

Ha, tapping both is unnatural to my brain :smile:

You are right though, I really need to re work how I actually play (mouse-wise) altogether.

neurocomp2003 said:
gj...now only if you can do that on exp..i get about 31 on int..thogh my best before was 25..i hate formatting it ruins all the nice scores.
that's really good judgments neuralcomp2003 :thumsup:

I have videos of myself beating expert in the 70s, when I watch them they look really slow, I guess its in the heat-of-the-moment while playing things seem to be going really f ast. I find relaxing while playing and not paying too much attention to the game helps. I'll upload them later, or better yet take newer videos, as those are bout a year old and I've learned a lot since then

http://www.public.asu.edu/~hyousif/minesweeper.avi" [Broken]

You'll notice I miss a lot of clicks or accidentally flag the wrong square.. that's probably my biggest problem. I usually don't do it this much but this isn't my computer and the mouse movement is different.

http://www.metanoodle.com/minesweeper/TSCC.exe"

Last edited by a moderator:
how do you record?

mattmns said:
I record with Camtasia: http://www.techsmith.com/products/studio/default.asp

whozum how many times do you middle, or double, click? You seem to play almost exactly how I play, except you are much quicker

I'm flagging and double clicking a lot more on this computer since I have a harder time controlling the mouse, I usually average about 30 mines unflagged by the end of the game, in the one I posted above I had only 18.

Look at http://www.public.asu.edu/~hyousif/dsss.avi" [Broken] disappointment I just had :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not bad at all, the only thing I notice is that you don't look ahead of what your doing. Try to think a couple clicks in advance, and try to predict what will come. For example if I flag and double click, I double click the square that's about to open if its probable that its a 1, this saves a lot of time and also opens up more possibilities.

You're thinking is impressive though.

i blame you gyus for getting me into minesweeper...score 84 on exp today wee and 32 in int

nooo i hit the resest button...ARGGH don't they ask if your sure to reset!