Who is the liar in this logic puzzle?

In summary, a philosophy party is attended by three people, one of whom is a pure liar, one is a pure truth teller, and the third's truthfulness is unknown. Through a series of logical deductions, it is determined that the third person is a truth teller.
1/90 = 3(1/40 + 1/120 + 1/x)

Physics news on Phys.org
You do realize, marqq, that the solution to that equation is negative?

is not negative...is just the infinite x

marqq said:
would you please enlarge your answer for the others? :wink:

He is located inside the wife, at least a certain part of him.. I didn't want to spoil since it's simple but funny :)

As for the driver.. If t is time in which he would have to make the whole trip for his average to be 90 km/h, he spent exactly t on the first two thirds of the trip. Which means he would have to make the remaining 1/3 in 0 hours, going infinitely fast :)

Last edited:
pig said:
He is located inside the wife, at least a certain part of him.. I didn't want to spoil since it's simple but funny :)

As for the driver.. If t is time in which he would have to make the whole trip for his average to be 90 km/h, he spent exactly t on the first two thirds of the trip. Which means he would have to make the remaining 1/3 in 0 hours, going infinitely fast :)
Well done Pig :smile:

i'm inside of an imaginary cyrcle on which a shark swims inteligently (he can change the direction or he may stop but he can't enter the cyrcle) 4times faster then i do. Can I exit the cyrcle without been cought by the shark?
:eek:

Btw ...who-s the phorum administrator? i have a problem with my avatar and my signature :)

Damn those true or false questions!

True or false, what is your name?

off topic. erase your post :)

Cannibals & Missionaries

Taken Hurkyl's legend:
l l=river < >=canoe C=Cannibals M=Missionaries

CCC MMM < > l l
C MMM l<C C>l < > CC
C MMM l< C > l C
CC MMM < > l l C
MMM l<C C>l C
MMM l l < > CCC
MMM l< C > l CC
C MMM < > l l CC
C M l<MM>l CC
C M l l < > CC MM
C M l<CM>l C M
CC MM < > l l C M
CC l<MM>l C M
CC l l < > C MMM
CC l< C >l MMM
CCC < > l l MMM
C l<C C>l MMM
C l l < > CC MMM
C l< C >l C MMM
CC < > l l C MMM
l<C C>l C MMM
l l < > CCC MMM

this problem allready has a solution on this thread...pls stay focused :tongue:

Last edited:
jammieg said:
True or false, what is your name?

False. In fact, I have never met anyone named 'what'. Also, since most names are capitalized, I will point out that I have never met anyone named 'What' either.

Njorl

My bad. Focus is not my strong point...however, the solution was good? Then it was still to my own benefit, I suppose. And I love solving those kinds of puzzles. I'll remember to read all next time...thanks!

marqq said:
i'm inside of an imaginary cyrcle on which a shark swims inteligently (he can change the direction or he may stop but he can't enter the cyrcle) 4times faster then i do. Can I exit the cyrcle without been cought by the shark?
:eek:
try this one Angel Loupe

Two guys walk into a bar sit down both order scotch on the rocks the first guy slowly sips his and the second guy gulps his first one down then after a bit he orders a second drink and gulps the second one down while the first guy is still slowly sipping his drink. After the second guy finishes his second drink the first guy slumps over dead on the bar.
If both drinks were poisoned then why is the first guy dead and the second guy still alive.

I was received this Logic Puzzle. But I havn't been able to answer such puzzle. I think it is flawed. Since there involves three drinks, two of them are poinsoned. One Person drinks one drink which is poisoned and dies. Now that leaves two drinks whereas the other guy drinks both of those drinks. Then one of those drinks must be poisoned therefore he should drop and die just like the other guy. Anyways am I right? Someone help me here.

zeronem said:
Two guys walk into a bar sit down both order scotch on the rocks the first guy slowly sips his and the second guy gulps his first one down then after a bit he orders a second drink and gulps the second one down while the first guy is still slowly sipping his drink. After the second guy finishes his second drink the first guy slumps over dead on the bar.
If both drinks were poisoned then why is the first guy dead and the second guy still alive.

I was received this Logic Puzzle. But I havn't been able to answer such puzzle. I think it is flawed. Since there involves three drinks, two of them are poinsoned. One Person drinks one drink which is poisoned and dies. Now that leaves two drinks whereas the other guy drinks both of those drinks. Then one of those drinks must be poisoned therefore he should drop and die just like the other guy. Anyways am I right? Someone help me here.
it depends which two drinks were poisoned the one which the first guy drank and one of the two which the second guy drank or two of the drinks which the second man drank were poisoned.
if it's the second option then it could be say that the first man was an old person (and that's why he sip the drink slowly) and he died out of old age and the drinks which the second man drank neutrilized each other.

This is not a logic puzzle...is just a childish question...like What DIANA means? (Died In A Nasty Accident)
We can asume tons of possible answers...but i think that the correct answer is : The poison was on the ice rocks,and it had the time to melt for the 1st drinker :smile:

Last edited:
marqq said:
This is not a logic puzzle...is just a childish question...like What DIANA means? (Died In A Nasty Accident)
We can asume tons of possible answers...but i think that the correct answer is : The poison was on the ice rocks,and it had the time to melt for the 1st drinker :smile:
are you familiar to lateral puzzles, these are those sorts of puzzles.
anyway, your answer seems more appropiate to the puzzle.

In 3 days i'll post the solution of the shark problem...this way I'll be able to post someother easyer problems.

Yes, you can. Supposing the circle has a diameter of 4 units, the cut of point of where you have the ability to travel more degrees over the circle, and therefore are able to keep the shark to the opposite side of the circle would be in 1/2 units. At this point you are 1.5 units away from the edge of the imaginary circle, so it becomes a simple question of whether you can travel 1.5 units in the time it takes the shark to travel half the circumference of the circle, which you can.

Edit: Realistically, you are cutting it so close that it would depend on how long you were and how big the circle was. I think that is the answer you want though unless you care to give us more details.

Last edited:
leto that was the expected answer.thank you. :smile:

3 mens are going to see a whore. they have only 2 condoms on them (not each).find a solution that allows all 3 of them to have sex with the prostitute without any exchange of liquids between them. :biggrin: :biggrin:

First guy wears both condoms. Second guy wears one that was on top, and third guy wears the one the first guy wore insided out with second guy's on top.

:smile: good job! As allways :wink:

5 men had a whole bunch of coconuts.as they gathered the coconuts all night long, they've decided to share them the next day.As soon as they went to bed, the 1st one wakes up, counts the nuts, and realizes that he has to throw away one, in order to split them in 5 equal parts..He throws away the coconut,then he takes one fifth and hides it.30 min after, the 2nd man does the same thing...he counts, and he realizes that he has to throw away a coconut in order to have 5 equal shares...he throws the f*ckin nut away, and he takes one fifth of the rest and goes to hide his part...Following the same pattern the third wakes up, then the fourth, then the fifth...The next day, they counted the coconuts, and they finded that they need to throw away a nut in order to share them equaly...
How many nuts were before the 1st stoled his share? :smile:

Last edited:
15621 coconuts

15621-1=15620
15620/5=3124
15620-3124=12496
12496-1=12495
12495/5=2499
12496-2499=897
897-1=896
896/5=179.2
179.2 dosen't belong to N
But you are really close :smile:

12496-2499=897 :confused:

He didn't follow the pattern either,
:smile:

1st man 15621-1=15620
15620/5=3124
15620-3124=12496
2nd man 12496-1=12495
12495/5=2499
12495-2499=9996
3rd man 9996-1=9995
9995/5=1999
9995-1999=7996
4th man 7996-1=7995
7995/5=1599
7995-1599=6396
5th man 6396-1=6395
6395/5=1279
6395-1279=5116
2nd day 5116-1=5115
5115/5=1023

That's correct...sorry about that, i was tired, i knew that the number was 15xxx, i started to calculate, and I made a mistake :shy:
Good job!

You have any other riddles or quizes ?

a b c d e
...x4
---------
e d c b a

marqq said:
a b c d e
...x4
---------
e d c b a

abcde = 21978

:-)

Soroban said:
A good problem . . .

Consider what the first person must have said.
If he were a Truth Teller, he'd say, "I'm a Truth Teller."
If he were a Liar, he'd lie and say, "I'm a Truth Teller."
That is, NO ONE would ever say, "I'm a Liar."

Hence, the second person lied.
Therefore, the third person spoke the truth.
True, but You forgot about the speaker: He said "he didn't catch it", which means he's part of the liar group, and he really did hear what the guy said.