Logic & science

I'm working on a research project on logic and would be interested in real examples of the use of the theory of formal logic for any scientific or technological research. I'm well aware that logic, to begin with our intuitive sense of logic, is necessary to just about everything we do in life and especially in the sciences and in the industry. My interest is in actual examples of the specific use of the theory rather than the mere formalism of modern logic.
Thanks.
EB

Answers and Replies

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
I'm working on a research project on logic and would be interested in real examples of the use of the theory of formal logic for any scientific or technological research. I'm well aware that logic, to begin with our intuitive sense of logic, is necessary to just about everything we do in life and especially in the sciences and in the industry. My interest is in actual examples of the specific use of the theory rather than the mere formalism of modern logic.
Thanks.
EB
What about logic in programming? It's not hard for a computer to distinguish between 'or' and 'and'.

Everytime we do mathematics, we have to follow basic logic laws.

What about logic in programming? It's not hard for a computer to distinguish between 'or' and 'and'.

Everytime we do mathematics, we have to follow basic logic laws.
Yes, for mathematics and computers. And as I said, I'm entirely convinced we use logic all the time, competently or not, in just about everything we do. However, as you suggest here, we can go a very long way merely using our intuitive sense of logic, provided we also learn the basic vocabulary and language of logic, like "conjunction" etc. My question is about the use of the theory. How much of logic theory, beyond the basic intuitive notions and language, do scientists, among others, need for their fundamental or applied research work, in practical terms?
EB