Logic - Switching quantifiers

• Thread starter rokimomi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, \existsx\forally[p(y) --> q(x)] is equivalent to \forally\existsx[p(y) --> q(x)]. This can be proven by understanding the meaning of each statement and using a direct proof to show their equivalence.
rokimomi

Homework Statement

Determine whether [tex]\exists[/tex]x[tex]\forall[/tex]y[p(y) --> q(x)] is equivalent to [tex]\forall[/tex]y[tex]\exists[/tex]x[p(y) --> q(x)], justify your answer with a proof.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that when you switch quantifiers in something like P(x,y), the meaning changes and it is not equivalent but how about here where the variables are again separated. My intuition is telling me they are equivalent, or rather I should say I can't think of any proof that would falsify this.

Likewise, I can't think of how to prove this either. Would I have to do something along the lines of exploring all true false values for the given situations?

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to approach problems with a logical and systematic mindset. In this case, we are dealing with two quantified statements, \existsx\forally[p(y) --> q(x)] and \forally\existsx[p(y) --> q(x)]. In order to determine their equivalence, we must first understand the meaning of each statement.

The statement \existsx\forally[p(y) --> q(x)] can be read as "There exists an x such that for all y, if p(y) is true, then q(x) is true." This means that there is at least one value of x that satisfies the condition of p(y) implying q(x) for all possible values of y.

On the other hand, the statement \forally\existsx[p(y) --> q(x)] can be read as "For all y, there exists an x such that if p(y) is true, then q(x) is true." This means that for every possible value of y, there is at least one value of x that satisfies the condition of p(y) implying q(x).

At first glance, these statements may seem different. However, upon closer inspection, we can see that they are actually equivalent. This can be proven by using a direct proof.

Let us assume that \existsx\forally[p(y) --> q(x)] is true. This means that there exists at least one value of x, let's call it a, that satisfies the condition of p(y) implying q(a) for all possible values of y. By definition, this also means that for every possible value of y, there exists at least one value of x, namely a, that satisfies the condition of p(y) implying q(x). This is exactly what \forally\existsx[p(y) --> q(x)] states, therefore the two statements are equivalent.

Now, let us assume that \forally\existsx[p(y) --> q(x)] is true. This means that for every possible value of y, there exists at least one value of x, let's call it b, that satisfies the condition of p(y) implying q(b). By definition, this also means that there exists at least one value of x, namely b, that satisfies the condition of p(y) implying q(x) for all possible values of y. This is exactly what \existsx\forally[p(y) --> q(x)] states,

1. What is the definition of switching quantifiers in logic?

Switching quantifiers in logic refers to the process of changing the order of the universal and existential quantifiers in a logical statement. It involves interchanging the positions of "for all" (∀) and "there exists" (∃) symbols in a statement.

2. Why is switching quantifiers important in logic?

Switching quantifiers is important in logic because it can significantly alter the meaning of a logical statement. It allows for different interpretations and can lead to different conclusions. It also helps to clarify the scope of a statement and determine its validity.

3. What is the difference between switching quantifiers and negating quantifiers?

Switching quantifiers refers to changing the order of quantifiers in a logical statement, while negating quantifiers involves changing the meaning of the quantifiers from universal to existential or vice versa. Switching quantifiers changes the scope of the statement, while negating quantifiers changes the truth value of the statement.

4. How does switching quantifiers affect the truth value of a logical statement?

Switching quantifiers does not necessarily change the truth value of a logical statement. However, it can change the scope of the statement, which can lead to different interpretations and conclusions. In some cases, it may also result in a false statement, but this depends on the specific statement and its logical structure.

5. Can switching quantifiers be applied to any logical statement?

Yes, switching quantifiers can be applied to any logical statement that contains quantifiers. However, it is important to consider the context and logical structure of the statement to ensure that the switched quantifiers still make logical sense and do not change the intended meaning of the statement.