1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logic Systems Boolean Reduction Question !

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1
    Logic Systems Boolean Reduction Question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok i recieved an assignment due on monday and have to idea how to get started...i am supposed to design a traffic light using the following criteria:

a) The east west (E-W) traffic light will be green whenever both lanes C and D are occupied.
    b) The E-W light will be green whenever either C or D is occupied but lanes A and B are not
    both occupied.
    c) The north -south (N-S) light will be green whenever both lanes A and B are occupied but
    C and D are not both occupied.
    d) The N-S light will also be green when either A or B is occupied while C and D are both
    e) The E-W light will also be green when no vehicles are present.

Using the sensor outputs A, B, C and D as inputs, design a logic circuit to control the traffic
    light. There should be two outputs, N-S and E-W, that go HIGH when the corresponding
    light is green. Simplify the circuit as much as possible and show all steps!

I need to write an equation for each light set (e-w) and (n-s) but have no idea what they are. I think they may be:

[tex](ab)[/tex][tex]([/tex][tex]\overline c + \overline d[/tex][tex])[/tex][tex]+[/tex][tex](a+b)[/tex][tex]([/tex][tex]\overline c \overline d)[/tex]

[tex](cd)+(c+d)(\overline a[/tex][tex]+[/tex][tex]\overline b)[/tex][tex]+ \overline a[/tex][tex]\overline b[/tex][tex]\overline c[/tex][tex]\overline d[/tex]
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted