Logical Entailment: Understanding F $\models \omega$

• Thread starter gnome
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the distinction between implication and entailment, specifically in regards to the statements F \models \omega and F \implies \omega. The conversation also brings up the related question of whether P \wedge Q \models P is true only because P \wedge Q \implies P is a tautology. There is a theorem that states that A \wedge B \wedge \ldots \Rightarrow P if and only if A, B, \ldots \models P.
gnome
Please help me understand this:

F [tex]\models \omega \:\text{(where}\: \omega\: \text{is any wff!)}[/tex]

(That comes from Nilsson's "Artificial Intelligence, A New Synthesis", pg 225)

How does that make any sense? There is no interpretation for which F is true.

Physics news on Phys.org
False implies anything is a standard law of logic.

Yes, clearly, if it said
[tex]F \implies \omega[/tex]
that would always be true.

But apparently there is a distinction between implication and entailment, and I'm trying to understand what that distinction is.

This is how he defines entailment:
If a wff ω has value True under all of those interpretations for which each of the wffs in a set Δ has value True, then we say that Δ logically entails ω and that ω logically follows from Δ and that ω is a logical consequence of Δ.

Consider this:

There are no interpretations in which F is true.

Thus, it is trivial that ω is true for all interpretations in which F is true.

Thanks Hurkyl. It's taking me a long time to respond because I'm trying to figure out what possible use there is to a statement like that [tex]\text{F}\:\models \omega [/tex]

Can you explain the distinction between
[tex] \text{P} \wedge \text{Q}\: \models \text{P}[/tex]
and
[tex] \text{P} \wedge \text{Q}\: \implies \text{P}[/tex]

Edit: added a related question:
Is
[tex] \text{P} \wedge \text{Q}\: \models \text{P}[/tex]
true only because
[tex] \text{P} \wedge \text{Q}\: \implies \text{P}[/tex]
is a tautology?

Last edited:
You would like

[tex]P \wedge Q \models P[/tex]

to be true right? What if P and Q are both false statements? ...

I'm a little fuzzy in the formal logic department, but if I recall correctly, [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] and [itex]\models[/itex] work out to be roughly equivalent.

I don't think "what if P and Q are both false statements" is relevant. As I read that definition, (P and Q) logically entails P because P is true whenever (P and Q) is true.

Unfortunately, "roughly equivalent" doesn't cut it on a final.

Thanks anyway. I'll post back if I find out anything to clarify the difference.

P and Q can be any statements. It would be awkward (and somewhat redundant) to state "Whenever P and Q is satisfiable, [itex]P \wedge Q \models P[/itex]," would it not?

I don't have my reference at the moment, so I may be wrong, but I seem to recall there being a theorem that says [itex]A \wedge B \wedge \ldots \Rightarrow P[/itex] if and only if [itex]A, B, \ldots \models P[/itex]. I don't remember it precisely, which is why I said "roughly" as a qualification. :smile:

This is probably the theorem you were thinking of:

[tex]{\phi_1, ... \phi_n} \models \phi \:\textrm{iff} \:\models (\phi_1, ... \phi_n) \Rightarrow \phi[/tex]

(where
[tex] \models \omega [/tex]
by itself means [tex]\omega [/tex] is a tautology)

1. What is logical entailment?

Logical entailment is a concept in logic that refers to the relationship between two statements, where one statement (the premise) logically leads to the other statement (the conclusion). In other words, if the premise is true, then the conclusion must also be true.

2. How is logical entailment expressed in symbols?

In logic, logical entailment is expressed using the symbol $\models$. This symbol is read as "entails" or "logically implies". So, $F \models \omega$ can be read as "F entails omega" or "F logically implies omega".

3. What is the difference between logical entailment and logical equivalence?

Logical entailment and logical equivalence are both concepts in logic, but they refer to different relationships between statements. Logical entailment, as mentioned before, means that the premise logically leads to the conclusion. On the other hand, logical equivalence means that two statements are logically equivalent, meaning they have the same truth value in all possible cases.

4. How is logical entailment used in mathematics and computer science?

In mathematics and computer science, logical entailment is used to prove the validity of arguments and to establish relationships between different mathematical statements. It is also used in programming languages to ensure that a program follows a certain logical flow and produces the desired outcomes.

5. What are some examples of logical entailment?

One example of logical entailment is the statement "All mammals have hair" logically entails the statement "Dogs have hair". Another example is "If it is raining, then the ground is wet", which logically entails "The ground is wet" if it is known that it is raining.