Try This Logical Question: Find the Rank of "Ought" & "Tough" in a Dictionary

• Thread starter gauravkukreja
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how the word "ought" is ranked in a dictionary where words are arranged alphabetically after being compiled from rearranging the letters of other words. The rank of "ought" is determined to be 67. The conversation also mentions finding the rank of the word "tough" in the same dictionary, which is also determined to be 67.
gauravkukreja
Try out this problem

The letters of the word ought are rearranged to form new words irrespective of the meanings. The words were later compiled in a dictionary where they were arranged alphabetically. Find the rank of the word ought in the dictionary. Hence also find the rank of the word tough in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it is this, in white (select to view)
ought --> 66, tough --> 88

gerben, I think you want to add 1 to both those numbers...

Gokul43201, yes I do

explain

can someone explain this question to me? i know it has been solved but i'd like to know how the answer was came about.

thanks

There's a partial hint here.

Gokul43201 said:
There's a partial hint here.
Still don't get it.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Alphabetical order: g,h,o,t,u.
"o" comes is the third in the list, so there are 2*4! entries before it.

shouldn't the words be actual words? it's to easy to rearrange the letters into nonsense. you could say rearrange the numbers in 12345 into every possible combination then tell me where 12354 is in your list.

If I can help,
The alphabetical order of the letters is G,H,O,T,U
In the firt place,Words with O as the first letter will start after 2*4! words, 4! for G and H.
In the second place, U will start after 3*3! words,3! each for G,H,T
After this Alphabetically the next word will be ought.
So the rank of ought will be 2*4! + 3*3! + 1 = 67
Simillarly For tough.

What is the difference between the rank of "Ought" and "Tough" in a dictionary?

The rank of a word in a dictionary refers to its alphabetical order. "Ought" and "Tough" have the same rank as they both start with the letter "O" and "T", respectively.

Why do "Ought" and "Tough" have the same rank in a dictionary?

In the English language, words are typically arranged in alphabetical order. This means that words starting with the same letter will have the same rank in a dictionary.

What does the rank of a word in a dictionary indicate?

The rank of a word in a dictionary indicates its position in the alphabetical order of words. This allows for easier navigation and organization of words in a dictionary.

Is the rank of a word in a dictionary always the same?

No, the rank of a word in a dictionary can vary depending on the language and the specific dictionary being used. For example, "Ought" and "Tough" may have a different rank in a French dictionary compared to an English dictionary.

How is the rank of a word determined in a dictionary?

The rank of a word in a dictionary is determined by its position in the alphabetical order of words. This is usually based on the first letter of the word, but in some cases, it may be based on the first few letters or even the entire word.