Logical result of a collision

• Thread starter zpodnisn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses a theoretical problem of determining the motion and energy absorption of two solid objects colliding. The objects have a regular pyramidal frustum shape and collide with their tops. The known factors for the objects include their materials, surface of base/top, mass or height, velocity, and base friction. The conversation also mentions examples of different scenarios and their expected results. The problem is open-ended, but the speaker is seeking opinions on possible algorithms to solve it.
Hello,

I'm sorry that I can't format the thread as intended and for very likely misuse of terms, but I'm a programmer barely remembering anything form physics (and non-native english speaker to boot), and I have a theoretical problem, not an actual homework. However I believe the problem is quite simple.

The problem itself:

two objects collide, I need to get a "logical result" of the collision - motion, energy absorption / damage.

Assumptions:

objects are solid (composed from one material)
objects have shape of regular pyramidal frustum, collide with tops
motion vectors are directly opposite, centres of mass are residing on a line and stay on the line after collision

Known for objects:

materials
surface of base / top
mass or height
velocity
base friction

everything else can be ignored or have a default value assumed

Examples:

a thrown pebble hits a wooden crate. Results: pebble is bounced back
a thrown axe hits a wooden crate. Results: crate is cut, axe stopped
a fired bullet hits a wooden crate. Results: crate is pierced, bullet continues moving
a stopping car hits a wooden crate. Results: crate is bounced forward and takes impact damage

If you don't have time/will to provide exact algorithms and formulas, I'd appreciate any opinions on the problem solvability and possible algorithms.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is too open.
You've seen the variation - there are whole libraries written just on material properties.
Narrow the problem down: what do you want to know for?

The problem may seem too open indeed, but I don't need any precise calculations, but rather just basic predictions. Examples I provided are likely to be solved by any human child or moderately trained neural network - all I need is a simple math base behind it.

What is a logical result of a collision?

A logical result of a collision is the outcome or consequence of the collision, based on the properties and behaviors of the objects involved.

How is the logical result of a collision determined?

The logical result of a collision is determined by analyzing the physical properties and interactions of the objects involved, such as mass, velocity, and angle of impact.

What are the different types of logical results that can occur in a collision?

The different types of logical results that can occur in a collision include elastic collisions, inelastic collisions, and completely inelastic collisions.

Can the logical result of a collision be predicted?

In some cases, the logical result of a collision can be predicted using mathematical equations and physical laws, but there are also factors that may make it difficult to accurately predict the result.

How does the concept of momentum relate to the logical result of a collision?

Momentum, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity, plays a crucial role in determining the logical result of a collision. The conservation of momentum can help explain the outcome of a collision.

Suggested for: Logical result of a collision

Back