Logical result of a collision

• Thread starter zpodnisn
  • Start date
Hello,

I'm sorry that I can't format the thread as intended and for very likely misuse of terms, but I'm a programmer barely remembering anything form physics (and non-native english speaker to boot), and I have a theoretical problem, not an actual homework. However I believe the problem is quite simple.

The problem itself:

two objects collide, I need to get a "logical result" of the collision - motion, energy absorption / damage.

Assumptions:

objects are solid (composed from one material)
objects have shape of regular pyramidal frustum, collide with tops
motion vectors are directly opposite, centres of mass are residing on a line and stay on the line after collision

Known for objects:

materials
surface of base / top
mass or height
velocity
base friction

everything else can be ignored or have a default value assumed

Examples:

a thrown pebble hits a wooden crate. Results: pebble is bounced back
a thrown axe hits a wooden crate. Results: crate is cut, axe stopped
a fired bullet hits a wooden crate. Results: crate is pierced, bullet continues moving
a stopping car hits a wooden crate. Results: crate is bounced forward and takes impact damage

If you don't have time/will to provide exact algorithms and formulas, I'd appreciate any opinions on the problem solvability and possible algorithms.

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The problem is too open.
You've seen the variation - there are whole libraries written just on material properties.
Narrow the problem down: what do you want to know for?

The problem may seem too open indeed, but I don't need any precise calculations, but rather just basic predictions. Examples I provided are likely to be solved by any human child or moderately trained neural network - all I need is a simple math base behind it.