Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logically renaming US States

1. Nov 4, 2005 #1
    I'm tired of looking at the U.S. map and seeing all of the illogical naming inconsistencies that result from history.

First of all, take all North/South (state) names like North Dakota and South Dakota, and turn them into a single state of Dakota. Same with North and South Carolina into just Carolina.

Having two states that have the word "Virginia" in it is also redundant. Recombine West Virginia and Virginia into one state like it used to be in the good old days.

The U.S. should also cede New Mexico back to Mexico... sure that'll create a really funny looking U.S. map but at least the naming will be consistent. I mean, you don't see Mexico with a "Nuevo Estados Unidos."

And my strangest suggestion... there are two Washingtons, Washington State and Washington D.C. I propose that both of them combine into a single state (and yes I know that Washington D.C. isn't really a state, but a federal district). :biggrin: That'll certainly cause some confusion.

That and states should be restructed to be more box-like, following the role of Wyoming and Colorado.

This is why I shouldn't become a politician....
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2005 #2
    Go tell Rosa Parks that.
  4. Nov 4, 2005 #3
    I was just stating that it was like that from a geographical perspective. Just using the grandfather "climb uphill in the snow both ways" nostalgia.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2005
  5. Nov 4, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: But if you do that, how will the South Dakotans tell you how great their state is if they can't claim, "At least it isn't North Dakota?" :rofl:
  6. Nov 4, 2005 #5
    lol, I understood that. I was playing around, maybe it came off as too serious.
  7. Nov 4, 2005 #6
    Ah.. okay. Sorry about that then. Usually to lighten the mood I use some clarifying smilies :biggrin: :tongue2: :rofl: :tongue: :approve: :cool: :redface: :smile:.
  8. Nov 4, 2005 #7
    MB's Theory strikes again!
  9. Nov 4, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Yep, gotta use smilies. I'm wondering what those smilies are getting up to lately. Every time I look, they seem to be moved around again.
  10. Nov 5, 2005 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does this mean we need to cede New York, New Jersey and New Hampshire back to England? Or do we bite the bullet and cede all the New England region?
  11. Nov 5, 2005 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...and like Hawaii is really a state... How about calling it...West Los Angeles?
  12. Nov 5, 2005 #11
    Might as well. I was thinking for New York, turning it back over to Dutch control, since it was originally called "New Amsterdam".

But yes, if it is called "New England" then logically it should be a territory of England. Canada will probably join the bandwagon as well.

So our total map of the U.S. so far is...

Just one Carolina, just one Dakota, just one Washington, just one Virginia, New Mexico is now Mexican territory, Most of New England is now under the British crown, and Hawaii is now renamed to "West Los Angeles".

Hmm... there is a slight problem with Alaska. It just doesn't fit in with the new logical map scheme... it should be ceded to Canada.
  13. Nov 5, 2005 #12
    Why not just name them like you streets? 1st state 2nd state 3rd state, stating in the top left and working right, then down to the next level and continue.
  14. Nov 5, 2005 #13
    Most Americans have a difficult time even remembering the chronological sequence of U.S. Presidents, and many don't even know who Fillmore, Arthur, or Garfield was (most associate with the cat who has the same name).

That and I have a suspicion that if implemented, residents of lower numbered states will discriminate against higher numbered states in an elementary school jocular manner: "I'm from State no. 1, I'm better than you!"
  15. Nov 5, 2005 #14
    Why won't we just call the whole country America?
  16. Nov 5, 2005 #15
    That creates yet another problem... then it wouldn't just be the "United States of America" but rather just "America." If we were to call it just America, then we'd have to include Latin America and South America as well. That, and Canada will have to join as well... something that some people in the US actually want to happen (manifests in the phrase "Canada is just an extension of the US") :bugeye:.

That and we'd have to create memorials and statues for Amerigo Vespucci, just to have it make sense :rolleyes:.
  17. Nov 5, 2005 #16
    Yeah we should just take over the entire side of the world, and call that America. We have our half the rest of the world has theirs :smile:
  18. Nov 5, 2005 #17

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Our Map so far

I also took the liberty of ceding that little bit of Minnesota that jutted up at the top. Most of it was just taken up by the Lake of the Woods. The rest being Oak island and a small chunk that you can't even get to by land from the U.S. without passing through Canada. This way the new border just follows the south edge of the Lake.
  19. Nov 5, 2005 #18
    Hahahaha, :rofl: that is awesome Janus!!!
  20. Nov 5, 2005 #19
    Excellent :devil: :devil: :devil:. A new PF Map of the United States is being made. :biggrin:

I thought that it just didn't make sense that the small portion of Michigan above one of the Great Lakes wasn't part of Wisconsin, so I added it to Wisconsin instead of Michigan. :devil:

Does anyone else have suggestions?
  21. Nov 5, 2005 #20
    How about making Maryland and Delaware part of Pennsylvania, or doing something with them? Those states are way too small.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?