Troubleshooting Login Issues: How to Fix Broken Logins in 15 Minutes or Less

• Bug
  • Thread starter testingagain
  • Start date
In summary, there was a problem with logins on the website, with users experiencing difficulty logging in and getting locked out after only one attempt. It was suggested not to log out until the problem was fixed. The issue was eventually resolved after a lot of troubleshooting and testing, and the login strikes function was temporarily disabled to allow users to log in without issue. However, this posed a security risk and could not remain off permanently, so the problem was still being investigated. Some users joked about the situation and speculated about potential "end of the world" scenarios.
testingagain
logins broken? Don't log out!

Maybe I'm just stupid, but logins currently seem to be broken. I can log in by making a new account and visiting the URL given in the email. However, if I log out of that account and then try to log back in, I get an error message saying I'm over my quota of failed logins, and I should try again in 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, it still doesn't work.

-Ben Crowell

Physics news on Phys.org

Yep, I had that too. I only tried to log in once (the first time) and it came up.

Just restarted and it worked though.

Yes, there is a problem. I suggest that no one log out if you plan to come back to PF before the problem is fixed.

We can post here when the problem is fixed. Disregard any e-mails telling you to reset your password to avoid more problems.

JaredJames said:
Yep, I had that too. I only tried to log in once (the first time) and it came up.

Just restarted and it worked though.
Did you reboot Jared?

Evo said:
Did you reboot Jared?

Yeah (was actually for another issue, but solved both).

It came up saying I'd tried to many times (all of once) and so I just closed the browser and then restarted and I had to log in again, but it went straight through.

Please send me an e-mail when this gets fixed. I can't login with my real name and had to make up this absurd replacement name. Once it is fixed you can disolve this bogus membership as I only created it for the purpose of submitting this single post.

Snyder Jimmy said:
Please send me an e-mail when this gets fixed. I can't login with my real name and had to make up this absurd replacement name. Once it is fixed you can disolve this bogus membership as I only created it for the purpose of submitting this single post.
How can we send you an e-mail if we have no way of guessing who you are?

JimmySnyder? :biggrin:

Don't reboot! People are getting locked out.

I just installed another browser (FF update crashes on 7x64) and I couldn't log in either! I had to open FF which is "remembered".

*pant* wow I've been locked out all day :cry:!

Oh, look at that sad post count.

unbasil said:
Oh, look at that sad post count.
Aww, {{{{hugs}}}} unbasil At least you're here in spirit.

GREG!

I noticed this problem about two hours ago, I just grabbed next computer to me and logged in

This didn't bother me, as I'm always logged in. PF will never escape my vile clutches.

Holly Crap. I'm In. I thought I was going to loose my mind.

Thanks so much for the work Greg. And Evo, you're my hero. :):):)

dlgoff said:
Holly Crap. I'm In. I thought I was going to loose my mind.

Thanks so much for the work Greg. And Evo, you're my hero. :):):)
Yay, you're back! Thank Greg, he's working on a permanent fix. Until he says it's all fixed, you might not want to log out.

YEEES! It works again!

Greg, Evo, you're my heroes!

Evo said:
Yay, you're back! Thank Greg, he's working on a permanent fix. Until he says it's all fixed, you might not want to log out.

Thanks Evo. I'm going to keep hooked up all night, just in case.

Yeah I can login now. BTW was this problem in any way related to the mathjax testing that was going on ?

Char. Limit said:
This didn't bother me, as I'm always logged in. PF will never escape my vile clutches.

I hadn't been able to log in all day until this evening. Anyway, how do you stay "always logged in"? I find if I'm idle for a [not very long] period of time it automatically logs me out.

LCKurtz said:
I hadn't been able to log in all day until this evening. Anyway, how do you stay "always logged in"? I find if I'm idle for a [not very long] period of time it automatically logs me out.

Never being idle helps. A lot. Also, I never delete cookies.

mishrashubham said:
Yeah I can login now. BTW was this problem in any way related to the mathjax testing that was going on ?

Not related. The problem is with our load balancer. It's not carrying over member's IPs. Still working on it. I disabled the strike system for the time being.

Turning the strike system back on for testing. There will be login issues for the next bit of time.

It happened to me too...but I deserved it -_-

I wonder if these are not first signs of the incoming end of the world?

I wonder what the second signs would be

HeLiXe said:
I wonder what the second signs would be

The third signs: PF becomes overwhelmed by crackpots.
The fourth signs: The crackpots steal the golden horn of destiny. Nobody can change their username.
The fifth signs: Mentors start disappearing.

Greg Bernhardt said:
a rash
:eek: It's coming y'all! Head for the hills!
micromass said:
The third signs: PF becomes overwhelmed by crackpots.
The fourth signs: The crackpots steal the golden horn of destiny. Nobody can change their username.
The fifth signs: Mentors start disappearing.

Well I've seen some of the fourth and fifth signs but the third one has yet to be seen...

Greg Bernhardt said:
a rash

Wow. You're up early after a long night of work.

Let me know if it ever becomes safe to log out then back in. But I guess with my new DSL connection, I can stay hooked up until the end of time.

dlgoff said:
Wow. You're up early after a long night of work.

Let me know if it ever becomes safe to log out then back in. But I guess with my new DSL connection, I can stay hooked up until the end of time.

It's fine now because I disabled the login strikes function. but that is a security risk, so it can't stay off forever. still trying to figure out the issue.

Greg, you're awesome, the time that you spend keeping this forum going is amazing. Thank you so much for all that you do!

Evo said:
Greg, you're awesome, the time that you spend keeping this forum going is amazing. Thank you so much for all that you do!

Exactly! We are all grateful to you!

<h2>1. What are some common causes of broken logins?</h2><p>There are several potential reasons why a login may not be working. Some common causes include incorrect login credentials, server issues, browser compatibility problems, and expired or disabled accounts.</p><h2>2. How can I determine the cause of my broken login?</h2><p>The first step is to try logging in from a different device or browser to see if the issue is specific to your current setup. If that doesn't work, check for any error messages or notifications that may provide clues about the problem. You can also try resetting your password or contacting the website or application's support team for assistance.</p><h2>3. Can clearing my browser's cache and cookies help fix a broken login?</h2><p>Yes, clearing your browser's cache and cookies can often resolve login issues. This is because these files can sometimes become corrupted or outdated, causing conflicts with the login process. Clearing them can essentially "reset" your browser and allow for a fresh login attempt.</p><h2>4. How long should I wait before assuming there is a problem with the website or application?</h2><p>If you are experiencing a broken login, it is always a good idea to check the website or application's social media or support page to see if there are any known issues or outages. If there is no indication of a problem on their end, you may want to wait a few minutes and try again. If the issue persists, it is likely a problem with your account or device.</p><h2>5. Are there any preventative measures I can take to avoid broken logins in the future?</h2><p>To avoid future login issues, make sure to keep your login credentials secure and up-to-date. It is also a good idea to regularly clear your browser's cache and cookies, as well as keep your device and browser software updated. If you frequently encounter login problems with a particular website or application, you may want to reach out to their support team for further assistance.</p>

1. What are some common causes of broken logins?

There are several potential reasons why a login may not be working. Some common causes include incorrect login credentials, server issues, browser compatibility problems, and expired or disabled accounts.

2. How can I determine the cause of my broken login?

The first step is to try logging in from a different device or browser to see if the issue is specific to your current setup. If that doesn't work, check for any error messages or notifications that may provide clues about the problem. You can also try resetting your password or contacting the website or application's support team for assistance.

3. Can clearing my browser's cache and cookies help fix a broken login?

Yes, clearing your browser's cache and cookies can often resolve login issues. This is because these files can sometimes become corrupted or outdated, causing conflicts with the login process. Clearing them can essentially "reset" your browser and allow for a fresh login attempt.

4. How long should I wait before assuming there is a problem with the website or application?

If you are experiencing a broken login, it is always a good idea to check the website or application's social media or support page to see if there are any known issues or outages. If there is no indication of a problem on their end, you may want to wait a few minutes and try again. If the issue persists, it is likely a problem with your account or device.

5. Are there any preventative measures I can take to avoid broken logins in the future?

To avoid future login issues, make sure to keep your login credentials secure and up-to-date. It is also a good idea to regularly clear your browser's cache and cookies, as well as keep your device and browser software updated. If you frequently encounter login problems with a particular website or application, you may want to reach out to their support team for further assistance.