Logitech QuickCam Pro 3000

  • Thread starter kyle_soule
  • Start date
238
0
I modified (am in the process) my qc for long exposures. What happened was I dripped a little solder on a part and later hotglued to keep the wires in place. Turns out I created a solder bridge somewhere and when I removed the hotglue (by force ) the part I dripped solder on popped off. So I have a problem on my hands! And I need PF's help:smile: I need someone to identify the part so I can order it and replace it so I can get my webcam up and running and taking deep-sky pictures

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/bm98/l3k/l3k-print4-det-n.jpg [Broken]

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/bm98/l3k/l3k-print4-det-n.jpg [Broken]

Link and picture if the picture wants to work. The part I need identified is the bottom "brown thingy" directly across (to the right) from the D1267AN chip (which is the Sony CCD chip. The part number is C32, it is identical to the C33 above it. Thanks to all that help:smile:

More pictures at: http://mypage.bluewin.ch/bm98/l3k/modification.htm [Broken]
 
Last edited by a moderator:
238
0
New progress, is this beast a capacitor? Now, all I need to know is what size or whatnot do I need?
 
418
3
You might want to try the logitech website, they might have tech. documents. If it is a Cap you could measure it. Dripping soldier isn't the best method and wont give you a secure connection, you need to heat up the pin that you want to soldier. The needs soldier to flow. I'll give it another look when I get back into town this weekend.

JMD
 
238
0
Originally posted by nbo10
You might want to try the logitech website, they might have tech. documents. If it is a Cap you could measure it. Dripping soldier isn't the best method and wont give you a secure connection, you need to heat up the pin that you want to soldier. The needs soldier to flow. I'll give it another look when I get back into town this weekend.

JMD
Indeed dripping isn't good:smile: That, of course, was my mistake; I was soldering other wires and a big fat glob popped off and "jumped" (because we all know I wouldn't have been putting solder on the wire directly above the working area:wink:) onto the [QED] cap.
 

BoulderHead

...the part I dripped solder on popped off.
Hi kyle_soule,
If the part isn't lost somewhere, then how about soldering it back in place instead of looking for a replacement? Depending on how badly the traces are torn you may have to get creative...
 
238
0
Originally posted by BoulderHead
Hi kyle_soule,
If the part isn't lost somewhere, then how about soldering it back in place instead of looking for a replacement? Depending on how badly the traces are torn you may have to get creative...
That part is somewhere between my basement shop and the carpet of my bedroom. I have declared it lost:smile:
 

BoulderHead

Oh, I think I get it now.

The component is clearly a capacitor, though of what value I don't know. Surface mount capacitors are not always marked, unfortunately. nbo10 has a good idea; scour the logitech website and see if you can get lucky. If that fails I would consider a couple other options;
1) See if I could find a similar unit to obtain a value from (might involve a little reworking depending on the tools you have at your disposal).
2) If you’re feeling lucky and want to do some shooting from the hip you might consider checking the values of the nearby neighbors (do you have a capacitance meter?). Those other components stand a reasonable chance of being at or near the same value as the lost component and can give you a clue as to what value to begin with.

Good luck,
-BH
 
238
0
Re: Oh, I think I get it now.

Originally posted by BoulderHead
The component is clearly a capacitor, though of what value I don't know. Surface mount capacitors are not always marked, unfortunately. nbo10 has a good idea; scour the logitech website and see if you can get lucky. If that fails I would consider a couple other options;
1) See if I could find a similar unit to obtain a value from (might involve a little reworking depending on the tools you have at your disposal).
2) If you’re feeling lucky and want to do some shooting from the hip you might consider checking the values of the nearby neighbors (do you have a capacitance meter?). Those other components stand a reasonable chance of being at or near the same value as the lost component and can give you a clue as to what value to begin with.

Good luck,
-BH
The logitech site has failed me, although the capacitor directly next to it was, in fact, the same thing, I don't have a capacitance meter though I have another webcam that I want to try a capacitor off of it, is there a possibility of killing anything if it is different?
 

BoulderHead

The possibility exists,

but there is room for a little tolerance in the part value too, I'm sure. I have seen those things sell real cheap, if we're not talking about this being an expensive unit you have here, and while I wouldn't want you to hold me responsible if it goes up in smoke, if I were in your position I would give it a go...

...then I'd start saving up for some proper test instruments (as I can tell you enjoy working with electronics).

Let me know how it blows, err I mean, goes!
 
238
0
:smile:

I will definately look into some 'real' equipment, and seeing how I have tiny stubs to solder to now, I will just throw some capacitor in and see how it runs:smile:.
 

Related Threads for: Logitech QuickCam Pro 3000

  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
2K
Replies
6
Views
2K
Replies
29
Views
54K
  • Posted
Replies
2
Views
3K
  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • Posted
Replies
1
Views
2K
  • Posted
Replies
3
Views
3K

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving
Top