1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logorithm equations help

1. Feb 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How can I solve these? Only using logarithms and(or) exponential(not natural logarithms, or e).

34x-1=7

35x/76x=4

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried turning the first one into log10. By doing Log34x-1=7 to Log104x-1/Log103=Log107, then somehow turning that into Log104x+Log10-1/Log103=Log107. But that doesn't seem right. It's where I'm stuck right now, can anyone help? Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle \log_{3\,}(4x-1)=7\ \ [/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle \ 3^{7}= 4x-1\,, \ [/itex] not the given equation.

4. Feb 20, 2013 #3
    Take the logarithm of both sides (just the usual base 10). What's the rule about exponents -- for say "b" in log(a^b)?

5. Feb 20, 2013 #4
    I just realized that. I meant to say Log37=4x-1

6. Feb 20, 2013 #5
    Such as a*log(b)? He corrected me. But I'm trying to see if that could help.

7. Feb 20, 2013 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, solve this for x.

8. Feb 20, 2013 #7
    Thank you, it is, solving another equation like it I got the answer. I had my suspensions but due to having mismarked things I got I couldn't go through. Now that second one's where I'm stuck. It seems that I'd have to do Log5/64=5x/6x or something that wacky. But can you or someone else help me? Thank you.

9. Feb 20, 2013 #8
    I did Log10(7)/Log10(3)=4x-1. I got a decimal number(when pluged into calculator), then solved it for X with what I got. Is that right?

10. Feb 20, 2013 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would be inclined to write the original equation as [itex]\displaystyle \
    \left(\frac{3^5}{7^6}\right)^{x}=4\ .[/itex]

Then take both sides to the 1/x power, ...

11. Feb 20, 2013 #10
    If both sides are equal, then X is correct. My approach would be be to log3 both sides to bring down the (4x-1)

12. Feb 20, 2013 #11
    I'm new to Logs, we just had the chapter this week, but you mean log the other side of the equal sign as well?

13. Feb 20, 2013 #12
    Like 41/x while canceling the other side? Sorry for sounding like someone with no clue of anything. But this chapter confuses.

14. Feb 20, 2013 #13

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]\displaystyle \left(a^x\right)^{1/x}=a[/itex]

Yes, if you mean [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{3^5}{7^6}=4^{1/x}\ .[/itex]

Now write the logarithmic version of this equation.

15. Feb 21, 2013 #14
    So Log435/76=1/x ? Then solve using log10 right?

16. Feb 21, 2013 #15

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Why not solve it the way you think is probably right, then substitute back your answer for x to see whether it fits the original equation?

That way, you'll quickly see whether you are on the right track.

You might even have a calculator which does log4. Otherwise, yes, use log10 and do the necessary conversion.

17. Feb 21, 2013 #16
    I did that. I don't have my paper with me but I think that I had a negative -0.4(or this might have been for another question). Substituting it back in I got a decimal very close(.999something) to the answer. Thank you all very much for everything. I would have preferred something like a fraction but this is better than nothing. Thank you again.

18. Feb 21, 2013 #17

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your equations are certainly wrong as you have written them. You write Log34x-1, which means ##\log_{3}(4x) - 1##. Maybe you really mean Log3(4x-1)? If so, that is what you need to write!

19. Feb 21, 2013 #18

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

You can use some properties of log to simplify this.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{x}=5\log_4(3)-6\log_4(7)[/itex]

Use the change of base formula if you need to use log10.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook