Solve Logarithm Equations Using Log and Exponential Functions | Homework Help

• Thread starter Matriculator
  • Start date
In summary: I did that. I don't have my paper with me but I think that I had a negative -0.4(or this might have been for another question). Substituting it back in I got a decimal very close(.999something) to the answer. Thank you all very much for everything. I would have preferred something like a fraction but this is better than nothing. Thank you...
Matriculator

Homework Statement

How can I solve these? Only using logarithms and(or) exponential(not natural logarithms, or e).

34x-1=7

35x/76x=4

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried turning the first one into log10. By doing Log34x-1=7 to Log104x-1/Log103=Log107, then somehow turning that into Log104x+Log10-1/Log103=Log107. But that doesn't seem right. It's where I'm stuck right now, can anyone help? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Matriculator said:

Homework Statement

How can I solve these? Only using logarithms and(or) exponential(not natural logarithms, or e).

34x-1=7

35x/76x=4

I have tried turning the first one into log10. By doing Log34x-1=7 to Log104x-1/Log3, then somehow turning that into Log104x+Log10-1/Log103. But that doesn't seem right. It's where I'm stuck right now, can anyone help? Thank you.

[itex]\displaystyle \log_{3\,}(4x-1)=7\ \ [/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle \ 3^{7}= 4x-1\,, \ [/itex] not the given equation.

Take the logarithm of both sides (just the usual base 10). What's the rule about exponents -- for say "b" in log(a^b)?

SammyS said:
[itex]\displaystyle \log_{3\,}(4x-1)=7\ \ [/itex] is equivalent to [itex]\displaystyle \ 3^{7}= 4x-1\,, \ [/itex] not the given equation.

I just realized that. I meant to say Log37=4x-1

bossman27 said:
Take the logarithm of both sides (just the usual base 10). What's the rule about exponents -- for say "b" in log(a^b)?

Such as a*log(b)? He corrected me. But I'm trying to see if that could help.

Matriculator said:
I just realized that. I meant to say Log37=4x-1
Well, solve this for x.

bossman27 said:

Thank you, it is, solving another equation like it I got the answer. I had my suspensions but due to having mismarked things I got I couldn't go through. Now that second one's where I'm stuck. It seems that I'd have to do Log5/64=5x/6x or something that wacky. But can you or someone else help me? Thank you.

SammyS said:
Well, solve this for x.

I did Log10(7)/Log10(3)=4x-1. I got a decimal number(when pluged into calculator), then solved it for X with what I got. Is that right?

Matriculator said:
Thank you, it is, solving another equation like it I got the answer. I had my suspensions but due to having mismarked things I got I couldn't go through. Now that second one's where I'm stuck. It seems that I'd have to do Log5/64=5x/6x or something that wacky. But can you or someone else help me? Thank you.
I would be inclined to write the original equation as [itex]\displaystyle \
\left(\frac{3^5}{7^6}\right)^{x}=4\ .[/itex]

Then take both sides to the 1/x power, ...

Matriculator said:
I did Log10(7)/Log10(3)=4x-1. I got a decimal number(when pluged into calculator), then solved it for X with what I got. Is that right?

If both sides are equal, then X is correct. My approach would be be to log3 both sides to bring down the (4x-1)

FeynmanIsCool said:
If both sides are equal, then X is correct. My approach would be be to log3 both sides to bring down the (4x-1)

I'm new to Logs, we just had the chapter this week, but you mean log the other side of the equal sign as well?

SammyS said:
I would be inclined to write the original equation as [itex]\displaystyle \
\left(\frac{3^5}{7^6}\right)^{x}=4\ .[/itex]

Then take both sides to the 1/x power, ...

Like 41/x while canceling the other side? Sorry for sounding like someone with no clue of anything. But this chapter confuses.

Matriculator said:
Like 41/x while canceling the other side? Sorry for sounding like someone with no clue of anything. But this chapter confuses.
[itex]\displaystyle \left(a^x\right)^{1/x}=a[/itex]

Yes, if you mean [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{3^5}{7^6}=4^{1/x}\ .[/itex]

Now write the logarithmic version of this equation.

SammyS said:
[itex]\displaystyle \left(a^x\right)^{1/x}=a[/itex]

Yes, if you mean [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{3^5}{7^6}=4^{1/x}\ .[/itex]

Now write the logarithmic version of this equation.

So Log435/76=1/x ? Then solve using log10 right?

Matriculator said:
Why not solve it the way you think is probably right, then substitute back your answer for x to see whether it fits the original equation?

That way, you'll quickly see whether you are on the right track.

You might even have a calculator which does log4. Otherwise, yes, use log10 and do the necessary conversion.

NascentOxygen said:
Why not solve it the way you think is probably right, then substitute back your answer for x to see whether it fits the original equation?

That way, you'll quickly see whether you are on the right track.

You might even have a calculator which does log4. Otherwise, yes, use log10 and do the necessary conversion.

I did that. I don't have my paper with me but I think that I had a negative -0.4(or this might have been for another question). Substituting it back in I got a decimal very close(.999something) to the answer. Thank you all very much for everything. I would have preferred something like a fraction but this is better than nothing. Thank you again.

Matriculator said:

Homework Statement

34x-1=7

35x/76x=4

I have tried turning the first one into log10. By doing Log34x-1=7 to Log104x-1/Log103=Log107, then somehow turning that into Log104x+Log10-1/Log103=Log107. But that doesn't seem right. It's where I'm stuck right now, can anyone help? Thank you.

Your equations are certainly wrong as you have written them. You write Log34x-1, which means ##\log_{3}(4x) - 1##. Maybe you really mean Log3(4x-1)? If so, that is what you need to write!

Matriculator said:
Yes.

You can use some properties of log to simplify this.

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{x}=5\log_4(3)-6\log_4(7)[/itex]

Use the change of base formula if you need to use log10.

1. How do I know when to use logarithms to solve an equation?

Logarithms are used to solve equations when the variable is in the exponent. If the equation involves an exponential function, then you will likely need to use logarithms to solve it.

2. Can I solve logarithm equations without using logarithms?

It is possible to solve some logarithm equations without using logarithms, but in most cases, using logarithms will be the most efficient method. If you are unsure, it is always safest to use logarithms.

3. Are there different types of logarithms that can be used to solve equations?

Yes, there are two types of logarithms - common logarithms (base 10) and natural logarithms (base e). Which type you use will depend on the specific equation you are trying to solve.

4. How do I solve logarithm equations using log and exponential functions?

To solve a logarithm equation, you will first need to isolate the logarithm on one side of the equation. Then, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Finally, you can solve for the variable by using the inverse property of logarithms.

5. Can I check my solution to a logarithm equation?

Yes, you can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation and making sure that it satisfies the equation. Remember to use proper logarithmic notation when checking your solution.