Solve x in [0,2π]: Logs Homework Help

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, to solve for x in the interval [0,2pi], you can use the equation 2cos(x/3)=LnX. This can be simplified to x=e^(Ln3)+Lne^2-5Ln1, which can then be solved for x to equal 5. Additionally, to find the relative maximum value of the function y=(LnX)/X and the domain of the function Ln(X^2-1), you can find the derivative of the function and set it to zero to determine the location of the relative maximum. Then, use that value of x to find the corresponding value of the function.
UrbanXrisis
How do I solve for x in the interval [0,2pi]:
2cos(x/3)=LnX

Here's what I got:

2(.5)=LnX
1=LnX
e^(1)=x
x=2.718
is this correct?

If x=e^(Ln3)+Lne^2-5Ln1
what is x?
x=3+2-0=5
is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Was that supposed to be [itex]\cos \frac {\pi}{3}[/itex]?

yes sorry, that is 2cos(pi/3)=LnX

Last edited:
In that case, good job!

how do I find the relative maximum value of the function y=(LnX)/X and the domain of the function Ln(X^2-1)?

Just find the derivative of the function and set it to zero.

for the domain or for the max value?

That will give you the location of the relative maximum (you can verify that it is a maximum as opposed to a minimum). Then use that value of x that you find to determine the value of the function at that point.

1. What is the definition of a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function. It is used to solve equations where the variable is in the exponent.

2. How do I solve logarithmic equations?

To solve logarithmic equations, you must use the properties of logarithms to rewrite the equation in a simpler form. Then, solve for the variable using algebraic methods.

3. What are the common properties of logarithms?

The common properties of logarithms include the product rule, quotient rule, power rule, and change of base rule. These properties are used to manipulate and simplify logarithmic equations.

4. Can logarithmic equations have negative solutions?

No, logarithmic equations can only have positive solutions. This is because the logarithm of a negative number is undefined.

5. How does the domain of a logarithmic function affect the solution of a logarithmic equation?

The domain of a logarithmic function affects the range of possible solutions for a logarithmic equation. If the domain of the function is restricted, the range of possible solutions will also be restricted.