1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Lol give up engineering?

1. Oct 13, 2011 #1
    Lol give up engineering??

Lol today My teacher said today, "If you suck at physics, you should give up engineering".

After hearing this I am kind of sad.. b/c I wanted to be a computer hardware engineering and he just discouraged me...

Is this true?? Well I dont think so though

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2011 #2
    Re: Lol give up engineering??

never give up.

4. Oct 13, 2011 #3

wukunlin

Gold Member

correction: "If you continue to suck at physics, you should give up engineering"

basically, if want to excel in engineering (just about any field of), it will be a good idea to do some self studying so you don't suck in physics

5. Oct 14, 2011 #4

They say this kind of stuff in freshman and sophmore level classes. I think it is to "weed out" the less serious students. Don't quit.

6. Oct 15, 2011 #5

This is the sort of idiotic reverse psychology that some people practice. If you want to be an engineer, physics will be an important subject. But so will mathematics, chemistry, statistics, economics, Literature (YES, to be a good engineer you must communicate well), and so forth.

Give up only if you don't think you really want to achieve this goal. However, before you discard a goal in life, you need to have another one ready to put in its place. A life without goals is a waste.

7. Oct 15, 2011 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

If you want to be an engineer, don't give up so easily.

8. Oct 15, 2011 #7

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's rephrase it in a more positive way: "You won't be a successful engineer if you continue to suck at physics".

If you really want to be an engineer, don't give up. Learn some physics instead.

9. Oct 16, 2011 #8

hhaha thank you everyone.

10. Oct 16, 2011 #9

Just curious. How did you guys learn physics? or taught yourself?

11. Oct 17, 2011 #10

FWIW, I switched from physics to mechanical engineering at the end of my freshman year, worked for me. Good luck!

12. Oct 17, 2011 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

most engineering classes involve physics discussions; they're unavoidable. You just have to dig into them instead of closing your eyes and blowing through them. Really try to understand what's going on and if you're having problems, try to find specific questions to ask the teacher, try to find out where your understanding is going wrong. When I was an undergraduate, I often solved my own problems when trying to formulate my questions better.

13. Oct 18, 2011 #12

It depends on what sort of engineering, mechanical engineering you'd definitely need to be good at physics.
    Software eng/computersystems/telecomms etc, it's not so important.
    Other than the one physics subject I had in first year, the only 'physics' type of stuff I need in my telecommunications degree is signal processing, which is mostly maths.

I think it's more important to be good at maths than to know about heat transfer or the equations of motion etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook