London: Is there another bombing?

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
In summary, the police have arrested a man and are investigating explosions at three London Underground stations. It is not clear what caused the explosions, but the police are sure that they were not bombs. There is one person injured, but it is not clear how or when the injury happened.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here media is confusing. They say two underground stations have been evacuated because of a bombing. They mentioned also about some bus. Is everything all right over there?

Physics news on Phys.org
4 sort of "mini-explosions" is what they're saying. At one station (Warren Street I think), the people were saying someone left a rucksack and then ran away from the scene. Edit: one person injured, but there weren't any details of what/when/how the injury happened.

Last edited:
The explosions sound like detonators going of to me so perhaps they messed up the creation process?

It's not clear to me whether these explosions were dummy bombs, real bombs which failed to go off properly, or controlled detonations of suspect packages.

The BTP have confirmed that no trace of chemical agents has been detected.

Last edited:
And an arrest has been made. This could be interesting.

Tube evacuations: At-a-glance

Emergency services have been called to three London Underground stations amid reports of "incidents". The BBC News website is covering events as they unfold (all times in BST):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703853.stm

Man arrested by armed police near the gates of Downing Street.

Shepherd's Bush, Oval, Hackney Road (bus) affected in addition to Warren street.
see map at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4703777.stm

Last edited:
The only injury so far reported is of one of the bombers who was still carrying the backpack containing whatever it was that went off when it went off. The best guess being presented by the media is that it was detonators that went off, but until they can inspect the packages, they don't know if it was a faulty explosive or only detonators or some sort of homemade device that simply didn't pack much explosive. Since they caught the one person involved, hopefully they will get better answers quickly. They still didn't know if this was meant to be bigger and got botched or if it was a copy cat thing that just was never intended to be as large of scale as the bombings two weeks ago.

What a shame, I'm glad they caught one of them. They should use any means possible to get more information from him.
In the past several months they have installed cameras, just about everywhere in Detroit. I for one am glad they did. Londons system has been such a big help to them.

Daminc said:
The explosions sound like detonators going of to me so perhaps they messed up the creation process?

nooo ! those are not bombs, london subway is falling apart - chain reaction.

hypatia said:
What a shame, I'm glad they caught one of them. They should use any means possible to get more information from him.
In the past several months they have installed cameras, just about everywhere in Detroit. I for one am glad they did. Londons system has been such a big help to them.

I think these were a bunch of trouble makers. I doubt any serious group would be so foolish or have their workers "run away" from the scene.

Pengwuino said:
I think these were a bunch of trouble makers. I doubt any serious group would be so foolish or have their workers "run away" from the scene.

I'll admit, my first thoughts when I heard the reports were that it could be troublemakers with fireworks or something of the kind, but later news reports suggested that all four were carrying significantly more explosives, but the detonators went off failing to trigger the rest of the explosives. The men were probably not expecting to live through the experience, and panicked when their explosives didn't go off.

hypatia said:

The people arrested were released as they were not involved in the incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4705117.stm

Any more word on the man they shot< was he wearing a bomb?

I haven't heard yet but there is one thing that is significant. One of the things I mentioned in the thread regarding the last bombings is that they've cleared the STK policy for police and special forces.

This is from page 14 of the other thread:
This bombing may be the the trigger to reactivate the STK policy and I expect there will be less opposition to it this time. Imagine it, first Britain would be cleared up with people dissappearing left, right and center. Then it would expand through Europe and beyond without a single government having a say about it.

Last edited:
Here's the newest BBC story on the dead guy: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706787.stm - Doesn't confirm anything about a bomb, but some eyewithneses said (on BBC world) he was shot five times, which sound pretty much.

Its so rare to hear of UK police shooting someone. I'm sure they did what they felt they must.

but some eyewithneses said (on BBC world) he was shot five times, which sound pretty much.
If the suspected terrorist is thought to have an explosive device on his (or a remote control detonator) then they have to make sure that they cannot be activated. I believe this was an important lesson learned during the IRA campaign. Bottom line is shot until the target no longer poses a threat.

Actually, he was completely innocent. And a rather flimsy excuse for why they thought he deserved 5 bullets in his head.
Disscussion and lots of links here

1. What happened in the London bombing?

The London bombing refers to the series of coordinated terrorist attacks that took place in London on July 7, 2005. Four suicide bombers detonated explosives on three separate trains and a double-decker bus, killing 52 people and injuring over 700.

2. Was there another bombing in London after the 2005 attack?

Since the 2005 bombing, there have been other incidents of terrorism in London, including the 2017 Westminster attack and the 2017 London Bridge attack. However, there has not been another bombing on the same scale as the 2005 attack.

3. Who was responsible for the London bombing?

The terrorist group Al-Qaeda claimed responsibility for the London bombing. The four attackers were identified as British citizens of Pakistani descent, who were radicalized by extremist ideologies.

4. What was the impact of the London bombing on the city?

The London bombing had a significant impact on the city, causing widespread fear and panic amongst the public. It also led to increased security measures and changes in transportation policies to prevent future attacks. The attack also brought the city and its people together in solidarity and resilience.

5. How has London changed since the 2005 bombing?

The 2005 London bombing has had a lasting impact on the city, leading to increased security measures and changes in public perception of safety. The attack also sparked discussions on issues such as immigration, integration, and extremism. However, London remains a vibrant and diverse city, and efforts have been made to prevent similar attacks in the future.