Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News London terror attack 3/22/17

1. Mar 22, 2017 #1
    Gosh!!!!! Just seen the headlines.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11823706
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/90750007/live-london-terror-attack

:(

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2017 #2
    So far 3 killed and 20 injured :frown:

4. Mar 22, 2017 #3
    Four dead, and many with injuries. Very unsettling.

5. Mar 22, 2017 #4
    Very obviously this was a suicide attack.
    What nobody know yet is if the attacker was politically motivated (a terrorrist), or just an angry loony.
    I suspect the latter, a genuine terrorist would have emerged from the crashed car with something more dangerous than a knife.

6. Mar 22, 2017 #5
    Not necessarily. I did read that such terrorist attacks where they pull only a knife out are harder to predict and thus prevent.

I guess we'll need to wait for more information.

7. Mar 22, 2017 #6
    Given the crash into Parliament seems deliberate rather than the result of randomly driving around looking for a crowd, I would say the likelihood it was 'political' is very high. The question in my mind would be whether or not the attacker had ties to Islam. That is going to be the main factor in how everyone spins and interprets it.

8. Mar 22, 2017 #7
    Crashing into a gate and killing/injuring random bystanders while doing so, isn't exactly making a political point though is it.
    However, that gate being the perimeter of parliament buildings, there would be bound to be armed police immediately nearby.
    Since the next thing that happened after the crash was the fatal stabbing of an unarmed policeman, the fact that he was then shot dead on the spot was inevitable.

9. Mar 22, 2017 #8
    Not in my mind, but it might make perfect political sense to someone violent enough to do what this a-hole did.

10. Mar 22, 2017 #9
    I am still leaning in the direction of crazed loony.
    While terrorists are bad, their attack plans are not usually completely demented.

11. Mar 22, 2017 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The BBC's report leans away from the "crazed loony" theory:

12. Mar 22, 2017 #11
    We will have to see what investigations into the guys background reveal.
    It is entirely to possible to be crazy and Muslim at the same time, or be crazy and Christian too, or Zoroastrian and crazy.
    We will see what is discovered I guess,

13. Mar 22, 2017 #12

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

It's important to keep in mind that we are still in the early period of the investigation, so it is wise to refrain from speculating as to the motive(s) of the attacker until we all hear further evidence.

14. Mar 22, 2017 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Count now up to 5 (dead, that is) and this:

15. Mar 23, 2017 #14
    Oh my god. Why is this s*** happening? Not too long ago, there was a "crazed" truckdriver in Germany who also went on a killing-spree. Agitating, irritating, INFURIATING, saddening, perplexing ... I just don't ..

16. Mar 23, 2017 #15

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

That count has now been revised down to 4 (including the attacker).

Latest updates from the BBC:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39363297

17. Mar 23, 2017 #16

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Assuming for the moment that this was a terrorist attack (which the preliminary evidence is pointing to), I thought it might be interesting to look at the following interview with journalist Graeme Wood -- who had interviewed known members and sympathizers of Islamic State (IS) and wrote a book about this -- on the Agenda with Steve Paikin (a current affairs program broadcast on TV Ontario similar to Charlie Rose, a public broadcasting station funded by the Ontario provincial government in Canada, roughly equivalent to PBS in the US).

Wood's book (which I have not read yet, but intend to in the near future) is called "The Way of the Strangers: Encounter with the Islamic State". It should be available on Amazon.

[Moderators: Am I allowed to provide links to Amazon here at PF?]

18. Mar 23, 2017 #17
  19. Mar 23, 2017 #18

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Knife attacks appear to me to be a popular Islamic terrorist MO. They tend to get less press because they are less deadly, but there have been a bunch.

Edit: in 2016 I count 5 of 9 in the West as stabbings including one exactly the same in the USA (car followed by stabbing):
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  20. Mar 23, 2017 #19

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

Perhaps one reason for the popularity of knife attacks by terrorists (not just Islamic ones) as well as violent criminals in general in European countries in particular is because getting a gun in many European countries is more difficult compared to the US due to stricter gun laws (and less prevalence of an underground arms market??). So knives may be the default weapon of choice, despite not being as lethal.

21. Mar 23, 2017 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't think so. It looks to me to be more ritualistic, related to the popular tactic of hacking prisoners' heads off. It is tougher to achieve in public, but decapitation has happened too.

Edit: not sure of that last bit. The incident I was thinking of was mental illnesstate, not terrorism.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook