Optimal Acceleration for Long Jump on the Moon

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a hypothetical scenario where the qualifying event for the Olympics long jump is held on the moon. The question asks for the magnitude of the maximum rate of freefall acceleration on the moon that would allow the jumper to achieve their desired distance. The conversation also touches on equations and concepts related to projectile motion, specifically the maximum range equation and the value of the sine function. Through discussion and calculations, it is determined that the maximum rate of freefall acceleration on the moon for the jumper to achieve their desired distance is 4.63 m/s^2, and this occurs when the angle of the jump is 45 degrees.
kristen151027
I have what probably sounds like a simple question...here it is:

You desperately want to qualify for the Olympics in the long jump, so you decide to hold the qualifying event on the moon of your choice. You need to jump 7.52 m (and conveniently beat Galina Chistyakova's record) to qualify. The maximum speed at which you can run at any location is 5.90 m/s. What is the magnitude of the maximum rate of freefall acceleration the moon can have for you to achieve your dream?

equations:
∆x=-v^2sin2Φ/a_y
Φ = 0.5arcsin [-a_y∆x/v^2]
there are other equations but I don't know which ones to use

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know projectile motion analysis ?

Hint: Use the equation for maximum range .

We've been studying projectiles, but nothing too indepth. I tried to use the first equation I listed (the maximum range one...?), but I ran into trouble with the angle measurement.

At what angle does the projectile or jumper attain maximum range ?

No idea...is that something the question should provide?

In your first expression, ∆x becomes max. when sin2Φ = 1.
Therefore Φ equals ___ ?

Φ = 45 degrees
(because sin2Φ = 2sinΦcosΦ
and when Φ = 45 ... it's 2*(1/root 2)*(1/root 2)...which is 1)
if Φ = 45 degrees, then the a_y = -4.63 m/s^2
therefore, the magnitude is 4.63
correct?

One thing I'm not quite clear on is how "∆x becomes max. when sin2Φ = 1" ...I'm probably just not thinking clearly about it. The answer is asking for the magnitude, not the direction, so the sign of the answer doesn't matter.

Yes, you are right :smile:
Edit: What are the values that sine function can take ?

The sine function can take values of 0 to 1. Ah and it can't be 0, so one is the maximum, but when sinx = 1, cosx = 0. Therefore, it has to be somewhere in between. Now the question is how to indicate such logic concisely when doing a problem. (I very much appreciate your help, by the way!)

Edit: sine can take values of -1 to 1...oops

Last edited:
Just got it. When Φ = 45 degrees, that's creates the maximum value because we're dealing with a double-angle. So that explains why the answer is highest when Φ = 45 degrees.

Thanks again for your help! :biggrin:

Correct and you're welcome :smile:

1. What is long jump velocity?

Long jump velocity is the speed at which an athlete runs down the runway and takes off for a long jump. It is measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

2. How is long jump velocity calculated?

Long jump velocity can be calculated by dividing the distance of the jump by the time it took to complete the jump. For example, if an athlete jumps 8 meters in 2 seconds, their velocity would be 4 m/s.

3. What factors affect long jump velocity?

There are several factors that can affect long jump velocity, including the speed of the run-up, the angle of takeoff, the athlete's strength and technique, and external factors such as wind and surface conditions.

4. Why is long jump velocity important?

Long jump velocity is important because it directly influences the distance of the jump. The faster an athlete is able to run and take off, the further they will be able to jump.

5. How can an athlete improve their long jump velocity?

An athlete can improve their long jump velocity through proper training and technique. This includes focusing on developing explosive strength, improving sprinting and running technique, and working on refining their takeoff and landing technique.