Understanding Long LC Circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinitely long LC circuits and the difficulties in solving them due to the presence of multiple capacitors and inductors within the same system. The individual attempts at solving the problem involve breaking down the circuit into smaller units and adding them to find the overall impedance. However, this approach may not always yield accurate results due to the nature of an infinite circuit.
channel1

Homework Statement

I'm curious about infinitely(?) long LC Circuits. Say you have a circuit (and I am going to describe this sort of like a matrix) with capacitors on the top row, inductors on the bottom row, and one inductor in each column. Assume a current with value "i" is going up through the columns. Can someone please help me understand what is going on in the system? I understand how to solve a basic LC circuit but I can't find any good examples with multiple capacitors and inductors within the same system.

----C---------C---------C----
l l
L L
l l
----L---------L---------L----

Homework Equations

C(series) = (1/C + 1/C +...)^-1
C(parallel) = C+C+...
L(series) = L+L+...
L(parallel) = (1/L + 1/L +...)^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried looking at this as as 2 repeating series: (a capacitor and inductor in series) + (an inductor in parallel with (a capacitor and inductor in series)) but i don't think that's right...

Physics news on Phys.org
ugh this website auto "corrected" my diagram -_- the columns go in the spaces between the rows (so not directly under the capacitors but directly under the "-----" gaps)

actually this is a much better diagram that i found, unfortunately the couldn't figure it out either: http://i.imgur.com/YJDaD.png

Usually with these sorts of problems the idea is to identify a 'unit cell' of what comprises the ladder network and then assume that, since it is infinite in length, adding one more cell to the front end ( or back end) won't change the impedance.

You end up with an equation that goes something like Z = Z + Zcell, or Z = Z || Zcell, or something similar. Of course you might have to deal with series or parallel bits when the cell is added, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

I can offer some insight into the behavior of long LC circuits. First, it's important to understand that an infinitely long LC circuit is a theoretical concept and not something that can be practically implemented. However, it can serve as a useful model for understanding the behavior of real-world LC circuits.

In the circuit you have described, there are multiple capacitors and inductors arranged in a repeating pattern. This can be thought of as a series of smaller LC circuits connected in parallel. Each individual LC circuit will have its own resonant frequency, determined by the values of the capacitor and inductor in that circuit.

When a current with value "i" is applied to the circuit, it will flow through each individual LC circuit, causing them to oscillate at their respective resonant frequencies. The presence of multiple LC circuits in the system can result in complex interactions and interference patterns, making it difficult to predict the behavior of the overall circuit.

To solve this type of circuit, you can use the equations you have listed in your post, combined with the principles of Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. It may also be helpful to break the circuit down into smaller sections and solve each section separately before combining the results.

In summary, understanding long LC circuits involves understanding the behavior of individual LC circuits and how they interact with each other in a larger system. It may also require some mathematical analysis and problem-solving skills. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you.

1. What is a long LC circuit?

A long LC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a long inductor (L) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. This type of circuit is characterized by a high ratio of inductance to resistance, resulting in a long time constant.

2. How does a long LC circuit work?

In a long LC circuit, the inductor and capacitor store energy in the form of an electric field and a magnetic field, respectively. The energy is continually transferred back and forth between the two components, resulting in a sustained oscillation or resonance at a specific frequency determined by the values of L and C.

3. What are the applications of long LC circuits?

Long LC circuits have many practical applications, including in radio and television broadcasting, wireless communication systems, and electronic filters. They are also used in power transmission and distribution systems to regulate voltage and current.

4. How do you calculate the resonant frequency of a long LC circuit?

The resonant frequency of a long LC circuit can be calculated using the formula f = 1 / (2π√LC), where f is the resonant frequency in hertz, L is the inductance in henries, and C is the capacitance in farads.

5. What are the advantages of using a long LC circuit?

Long LC circuits have several advantages, including high efficiency, low power loss, and the ability to produce a stable and continuous oscillation at a specific frequency. They are also relatively simple and inexpensive to construct, making them widely used in various electronic applications.