1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Long LC circuits

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm curious about infinitely(?) long LC Circuits. Say you have a circuit (and im going to describe this sort of like a matrix) with capacitors on the top row, inductors on the bottom row, and one inductor in each column. Assume a current with value "i" is going up through the columns. Can someone please help me understand what is going on in the system? I understand how to solve a basic LC circuit but I cant find any good examples with multiple capacitors and inductors within the same system.

----C---------C---------C----
    l l
    L L
    l l
    ----L---------L---------L----

2. Relevant equations

C(series) = (1/C + 1/C +...)^-1
    C(parallel) = C+C+...
    L(series) = L+L+...
    L(parallel) = (1/L + 1/L +...)^-1

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried looking at this as as 2 repeating series: (a capacitor and inductor in series) + (an inductor in parallel with (a capacitor and inductor in series)) but i dont think thats right...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2011 #2
    ugh this website auto "corrected" my diagram -_- the columns go in the spaces between the rows (so not directly under the capacitors but directly under the "-----" gaps)

4. Dec 6, 2011 #3
    actually this is a much better diagram that i found, unfortunately the couldnt figure it out either: http://i.imgur.com/YJDaD.png

5. Dec 6, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Usually with these sorts of problems the idea is to identify a 'unit cell' of what comprises the ladder network and then assume that, since it is infinite in length, adding one more cell to the front end ( or back end) won't change the impedance.

You end up with an equation that goes something like Z = Z + Zcell, or Z = Z || Zcell, or something similar. Of course you might have to deal with series or parallel bits when the cell is added, but you get the idea.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook