Long Wave Photons: Evidence for Low Energy Light Waves?

In summary: So, we can say that the very foundation of our understanding of the behavior of matter at the atomic level is based on a fundamental theory that is fundamentally based on the idea of particles having specific properties that can only be observed when they are on the smallest scales.In summary, photons associated with low energy lightwaves have been observed, and this supports the wave-particle duality of light.
silverdiesel
Do low energy lightwaves have photons? I assume they do, but is there some way to detect them. I understand high energy light waves pushing around electrons in quantized atomic orbits, but what about radio waves? Photons associated with these wavelengths would be too long to be absorbed by any atoms, so what evidence do we have for the existence of radio wave photons?

Science news on Phys.org
Light is made of photons, all light, low frequency or high, is photons.

is there some way to detect them.
Turn on your radio. Sound is changed into electricity, and is going from a radio station, to a radio tower, which emits photons, that get to the satellite, and the satellite emits photons that get to your radio, then the radio turns it back from electricity to sound.
what evidence do we have for the existence of radio wave photons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Atmospheric_electromagnetic_transmittance_or_opacity.jpg
See in the picture that low wavelength radio waves are pretty much completely blocked by the atmosphere, but as on the left side, we can detect them with our satellites.

Last edited:
I understand that. I am not asking for the existence of radio waves, I am asking for proof of the particle nature of radio waves. Light was understood to be a wave, until it was observed to be absorbed and emmited by atoms. Einsteins explanation of the photoelectric effect required quanta, a quality of particles instead of waves. Thus, we now understand light has a wave-particle duality. But the photoelectric effect only works for high energy light. Do we have evidence this wave-particle duality exists in the lower frequencies? i.e. can an antenna absorb only half the energy of a radio wave?

Well, I don't know if individual quanta of radio waves have ever been directly detected (it sounds like an extremely difficult experiment!), but keep in mind that this is all part of a self-consistent picture; that is, quantum mechanics.

For example, one common type of radio emission in the universe is the 21 cm line of neutral hydrogen. The frequency of this emission (and absorption) line is successfully predicted to high precision by the quantum mechanical model of the hydrogen atom. This model basically says that the emission of these radio photons arises from an energy level transition (specifically, a spin-flip) within the hydrogen atom itself. If the physics of this transition were truly classical, the predicted frequency of radiation would not be the same as observed. In fact, this line is dependent on the very idea of quantized spin states!

What are Long Wave Photons?

Long Wave Photons are a type of electromagnetic radiation with wavelengths longer than those of visible light. They have low energy and are often referred to as low energy light waves.

How do Long Wave Photons differ from other types of photons?

Long Wave Photons have longer wavelengths and lower energies compared to other types of photons, such as visible light or X-rays. This means that they have lower frequencies and carry less energy per photon.

What is the evidence for the existence of Long Wave Photons?

The existence of Long Wave Photons is supported by various experiments and observations, including the photoelectric effect, which shows that photons with different energies can produce different effects, and the emission spectrum of different elements, which shows distinct patterns for different energy levels of photons.

How are Long Wave Photons used in technology?

Long Wave Photons have a wide range of applications in technology, such as in communication systems, remote sensing, and medical imaging. They are also used in household appliances, such as microwave ovens.

Can Long Wave Photons be harmful to humans?

Long Wave Photons have lower energies compared to other types of photons, so they are generally not harmful to humans. However, long-term exposure to high levels of low energy radiation can still cause damage to cells and tissues, so it is important to follow safety regulations and limit exposure to any type of radiation.