Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longest sentence

1. Sep 19, 2011 #1
    This puzzle came to my mind, but I do not have an answer in place.

What's the longest meaningful English sentence with no repeating letters? (means, the longest sentence can have a maximum 26 letters; of course, proper nouns excluded)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2011 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know about the longest one but here's the shortest one (or at least that's what the typewriter manufacturers used to say):

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog

4. Sep 19, 2011 #3
    The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

This puzzles been around for a bit: so long in fact there is a name for it. Their called Panagrams. Im sure something like a google search will turn up a boat load of them

5. Sep 19, 2011 #4
    No, a pangram uses all the letters but allows repetitions. The OP is asking for the longest sentence that has no repetitions, even if it doesn't use all the letters.

6. Sep 19, 2011 #5
    Without repetition i believe its still a panagram.
    try Blowzy night-frumps vex'd Jack Q
    looked up the words and they make sense just with an extensive vocabulary.

7. Sep 20, 2011 #6
    ok; any answer which is more readable and without extensive vocabulary? :)

8. Sep 21, 2011 #7
    not in english that i know of
    I believe this is because common words in every day english became common because of their simmiliar sounds
    Since these sounds are created by letters (untechnically) this means they are created by common, A.K.A. Repeating, letters

9. Sep 22, 2011 #8
    The glib czar junks my VW Fox PDQ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook