1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longest Straw

1. Dec 5, 2005 #1
    I recieved a homework problem that I need guidance on where to start.

What is the longest vertical soda straw you could possibly drink from?

I do not know where to start on this problem. A small push in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2005 #2
    As I posted this I had a possible epiphany.

p = [tex]/rho[/tex]gd

If the depth at which the straw is submerged makes rho*g*d greater than 101.3 kPa than the water above the end of the straw keeps the water down. Although now I know that won't work because that is how deep the straw is not how long it is.

4. Dec 5, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

in TeX, write /rho as \rho to get the correct letter.

Your approach is correct. One must identify the height (depth) of water, which gives a pressure drop of 1 atm, since it is assumed that the reservoir of water is at one atmosphere (101325 Pa) absolute, and the lowest pressure one could achieve is a pure vacuum of ~ 0 Pa.

The only way to obtain a greater head of water is to increase the ambient pressure above 1 atm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?