Longest EM Wave Length: Man-Made or Natural?

In summary, the conversation discusses the longest electromagnetic wave length and whether it is man-made or natural. The participants also mention the possibility of the shortest wavelength being limited to the Planck length and the potential for the discovery of the least massive particle. The conversation also touches on the topic of galactic sized wavelengths of dark matter. One participant provides a link for further reading on the subject and the other jokes about creating the world's longest wavelength signal.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
A basic question i know, but what is the longest em wave length
man made or natural?

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
A basic question i know, but what is the longest em wave length
man made or natural?

I’ve often wondered about this, years ago I asked a similar question “longest and shortest”. The latter possibly limited to the Planck length. The longest, I don’t think I got an answer. If and when the least massive particle is found, I suppose that will generate the lowest frequency. I recall reading lately about the galactic size wavelengths of “dark matter”.

by GENIERE
I've often wondered about this, years ago I asked a similar question "longest and shortest". The latter possibly limited to the Planck length. The longest, I don't think I got an answer. If and when the least massive particle is found, I suppose that will generate the lowest frequency. I recall reading lately about the galactic size wavelengths of "dark matter".
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Galactic sized wavelengths of dark matter sounds interesting, do
you have a link?
I was thinking about the time it takes to produce such waves and
the source.

wolram said:
I was thinking about the time it takes to produce such waves...

That seems elementary. To produce a wave that's 100,000 light years peak-to-peak ... would take 100,000 years.

Thanks GENIERE .

I am as we speak creating the worlds longest wavelength signal. I'll let you know when it completes its first cycle. :rofl:

1. What is the longest electromagnetic (EM) wave length ever recorded?

The longest EM wave length ever recorded is approximately 10^26 meters, or one billion light years. This is known as the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the Big Bang and is considered to be a natural phenomenon.

2. Is the longest EM wave length man-made or natural?

The longest EM wave length is considered to be exclusively natural. While humans have created and studied EM waves of varying lengths, the longest recorded wavelength is a natural occurrence that has been observed and studied by scientists.

3. How is the longest EM wave length detected and measured?

The longest EM wave length is detected and measured using specialized equipment such as radio telescopes and interferometers. These instruments are able to detect and measure the extremely long wavelengths of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

4. What is the significance of the longest EM wave length?

The longest EM wave length, also known as the cosmic microwave background radiation, provides valuable insight into the origins and evolution of the universe. It is also used to study the properties of dark matter and dark energy.

5. Can humans create EM waves with longer wavelengths than the cosmic microwave background radiation?

No, it is currently not possible for humans to create EM waves with longer wavelengths than the cosmic microwave background radiation. This is due to the limitations of technology and the natural occurrence of this specific wavelength in the universe.