Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longest wave length

1. Jan 7, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

A basic question i know, but what is the longest em wave length
    man made or natural?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #2
  4. Jan 7, 2005 #3

GENIERE

Science Advisor

I’ve often wondered about this, years ago I asked a similar question “longest and shortest”. The latter possibly limited to the Planck length. The longest, I don’t think I got an answer. If and when the least massive particle is found, I suppose that will generate the lowest frequency. I recall reading lately about the galactic size wavelengths of “dark matter”.

5. Jan 7, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

by GENIERE
    I've often wondered about this, years ago I asked a similar question "longest and shortest". The latter possibly limited to the Planck length. The longest, I don't think I got an answer. If and when the least massive particle is found, I suppose that will generate the lowest frequency. I recall reading lately about the galactic size wavelengths of "dark matter".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Galactic sized wavelengths of dark matter sounds interesting, do
    you have a link?
    I was thinking about the time it takes to produce such waves and
    the source.

6. Jan 7, 2005 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That seems elementary. To produce a wave that's 100,000 light years peak-to-peak ... would take 100,000 years.

7. Jan 7, 2005 #6

GENIERE

Science Advisor

8. Jan 7, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks GENIERE .

9. Jan 7, 2005 #8
    I am as we speak creating the worlds longest wavelength signal. I'll let you know when it completes its first cycle. :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?