1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longest wave length

1. Jan 7, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

A basic question i know, but what is the longest em wave length
    man made or natural?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2005 #2
  4. Jan 7, 2005 #3
    I’ve often wondered about this, years ago I asked a similar question “longest and shortest”. The latter possibly limited to the Planck length. The longest, I don’t think I got an answer. If and when the least massive particle is found, I suppose that will generate the lowest frequency. I recall reading lately about the galactic size wavelengths of “dark matter”.

5. Jan 7, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

by GENIERE
    I've often wondered about this, years ago I asked a similar question "longest and shortest". The latter possibly limited to the Planck length. The longest, I don't think I got an answer. If and when the least massive particle is found, I suppose that will generate the lowest frequency. I recall reading lately about the galactic size wavelengths of "dark matter".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Galactic sized wavelengths of dark matter sounds interesting, do
    you have a link?
    I was thinking about the time it takes to produce such waves and
    the source.

6. Jan 7, 2005 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That seems elementary. To produce a wave that's 100,000 light years peak-to-peak ... would take 100,000 years.

7. Jan 7, 2005 #6
  8. Jan 7, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks GENIERE .

9. Jan 7, 2005 #8

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am as we speak creating the worlds longest wavelength signal. I'll let you know when it completes its first cycle. :rofl:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook