Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longevity food

1. Nov 26, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

If one wants to live a LOOOONG life doe's it matter what one eats and drinks?

I recon it is all in the mind set, if one doe's not want to kick the bucket one will endure,
    just so long as some thing doe's not come along and throw a spanner in the works.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2
    Chocolate and peanutbutter are a good start.

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3

turbo

Gold Member

Eliminating or limiting?

5. Nov 26, 2008 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I guess you are American, i tried a peanut butter and (jam) sarnie, (jelly is the wobbly stuff that kids eat), and it was the most evil taste i have ever experienced.

6. Nov 26, 2008 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I've heard that calorie intake slightly below the recommended level is being conducted in longevity studies of Rhesus monkeys.

This is that great Scientific American show which also discussed telomeres.

Transcript http://www.pbs.org/saf/transcripts/transcript1003.htm#2

Whay can't it be "eat more, live longer"? Why is all the tasty stuff bad for you?

I was curious about follow up.

http://www2.medicine.wisc.edu/home/people-search/people/staff/1527/WEINDRUCH_RICHARD_H

7. Nov 26, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you serious?!? Wow. The peanut butter and jam sandwich is like an old friend (only it doesn't ever call you at 3 in the morning drunk, crying that it can't find the car).

8. Nov 26, 2008 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm pretty sure it's not all in the mind set since villages where people live significantly longer have been connected to their foods. Yuzuri Hara is the example that stands out in my mind. I think it was their potatoes (or more specifically, the nutrient rich soil the potatoes were grown in).

That being said, a healthy mindset is required along side a healthy physical lifestyle for optimum living.

9. Nov 26, 2008 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Cool, but if i become a lab animal will i still have human rights? may be if i live an extra 50 yrs i will come to like peanut butter.

10. Nov 26, 2008 #9

wolram

Gold Member

I still think one has to be an occured cuss, and even genetics play a large role (no one in my family has died young), excepting an uncle who died in ww1.

11. Nov 26, 2008 #10

turbo

Gold Member

My father's side of the family was so long-lived that someone had to kill one of them to start a cemetery.

12. Nov 26, 2008 #11

wolram

Gold Member

:rofl:

Pickled in chili i guess.

13. Nov 26, 2008 #12

turbo

Gold Member

No, that side of the family is Irish. They probably got the old gent pickled (I'm thinking single-malt) and cold-cocked him before he could get the best of them.

14. Nov 26, 2008 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hey, don't knock it. If you become a lab animal, you'll have MORE rights than a human! No more drafty windows, and someone will come in every day to change your bedding and give you food and beverage and check that you're still healthy. It's a pretty sweet deal. :biggrin:

15. Nov 26, 2008 #14
    Seaweed!

16. Nov 26, 2008 #15
  17. Nov 27, 2008 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Okay, so where do i sign up?

18. Nov 27, 2008 #17
    Let's not make hasty decisions here. I don't think most lab animals have the privilege to use the internet. You might be cut off from PF and we all know what that means.

19. Nov 27, 2008 #18

wolram

Gold Member

A lot of people shouting YIPEEEEE?:smile:

20. Nov 27, 2008 #19
    No, that's not true... well maybe your spouse, but not the rest of us. That razor sharp wits of yours is hard currency here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?