1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longitudinal modes in a fibre laser

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    Hi

In the Wiki article on longitudinal modes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longitudinal_mode) they state that:

"The analysis of longitudinal modes is especially important in lasers with single transversal mode, for example, in single-mode fiber lasers. The number of longitudinal modes of such a laser can be estimated as ratio of the spectral width of gain to the spectral separation of longitudinal modes."

I can't quite see the why the bolded part is true. What I mean is that even in a fiber the gain curve is saturated when we have a laser with feedback (gain = loss), and if the gain curve is homogeneously broadened, in principle only a single longitudinal mode should oscillate (since the gain curve saturates homogeneously, so all other modes are below the gain curve). But they don't talk about that here. Is there something I am missing?

Best,
    Niles.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted