1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Look for a value of delta limit

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    Hello, could someone please help me out with the following question?

Q. Find the limit [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to 2} \left( {\frac{{2x - 1}}{{x + 1}}} \right)[/tex] and verify the result by [tex]\varepsilon - \delta [/tex] argument.

I got the limit as 1 so I began to look for a value of delta.

Required: [tex]\left| {\frac{{2x - 1}}{{x + 1}} - 1} \right| < \varepsilon [/tex] whenever [tex]0 < \left| {x - 2} \right| < \delta [/tex].

[tex]\left| {\frac{{x - 2}}{{x + 1}}} \right| < \varepsilon[/tex] whenever [tex]0 < \left| {x - 2} \right| < \delta [/tex].

I get stuck at this point. Even after I use division on the LHS I still don't get anywhere. Perhaps I need to consider values of x near 2 and deduce something from that? I dunno. Could someone please help me out? Any help would be great thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2
    Note that |x - 2| = |x + 1 - 3| <= |x + 1| + |-3| <=> |x - 2| - 3 <= |x + 1| by the Triangle Inequality.

--J

4. Mar 3, 2005 #3
    Thanks for your help so far. Using the inequality I get:

[tex]
    \left| {\frac{{x + 2}}{{x + 1}}} \right| \le \frac{{\left| {x + 2} \right|}}{{\left| {x + 2} \right| - 3}} \le \left| {x + 2} \right|
    [/tex]

I then choose delta = epsilon. Is that step valid?

5. Mar 3, 2005 #4
    No. I lead you a bit astray, actually. You'll note that your step is not valid, at, for instance, x = 1.1.

Also, if you're making your denominator larger, it's actually making the total smaller, so the <= sign is not preserved by the first substitution.

You'll find the other end of the triangle inequality much more useful.

|x - 2| = |x + 1 - 3| >= |x + 1| - |-3| <=> |x + 1| <= |x - 2| + 3.

Sorry about that.

--J

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  6. Mar 3, 2005 #5
    Ok thanks for the help. I'll give it another try.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?