Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Look forward to a darker world: 'Global dimming'

1. May 23, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.nature.com/nsu/040517/040517-7.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2
    Since the late 1950s, I have observed a 2-4% increase in the amount of high cirrus type clouds generated by aircraft contrails.

4. May 28, 2004 #3
    U have observed? U do this for a living? For 54 years??

5. May 28, 2004 #4
    Hold it, the late fifties is not 54 years ago. And yes, I certainly did some observing back then but out of curiosity like all kids.

6. Jun 3, 2004 #5
    fine 45-55 years. Still, you observed specifically that a 2-4% increas in clouds would result from airplane fumes. I wonder how you did it.

7. Jun 5, 2004 #6
    protect us from global warming? i don't think so. it may weaken the monsoon over the subcontinent and decrease our agricultural yield substantially. that is bad news for my country.

8. Jun 5, 2004 #7
    It may but then again it may increase it strenght. Nobody can foresee how these chaotic processes work. So don't trust anybody who says: there will be global warming so the monsoons get weaker and dryer. But if you support our treaty and pay, everything will be fine again.

9. Jun 5, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC, there is a study or paper that shows that if we added an aluminum oxide to jet fuel, we could reduce the incident solar radiation globally by about 1%. Given that this involves a direct effort to reduce the incoming energy, I doubt that we have had two or four times the influence by chance.

I think I have the patent linked in biology...I will try to find.

10. Jun 5, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?