1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Look forward to a darker world: 'Global dimming'

1. May 23, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.nature.com/nsu/040517/040517-7.html

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2004 #2
    Since the late 1950s, I have observed a 2-4% increase in the amount of high cirrus type clouds generated by aircraft contrails.

4. May 28, 2004 #3
    U have observed? U do this for a living? For 54 years??

5. May 28, 2004 #4
    Hold it, the late fifties is not 54 years ago. And yes, I certainly did some observing back then but out of curiosity like all kids.

6. Jun 3, 2004 #5
    fine 45-55 years. Still, you observed specifically that a 2-4% increas in clouds would result from airplane fumes. I wonder how you did it.

7. Jun 5, 2004 #6
    protect us from global warming? i don't think so. it may weaken the monsoon over the subcontinent and decrease our agricultural yield substantially. that is bad news for my country.

8. Jun 5, 2004 #7
    It may but then again it may increase it strenght. Nobody can foresee how these chaotic processes work. So don't trust anybody who says: there will be global warming so the monsoons get weaker and dryer. But if you support our treaty and pay, everything will be fine again.

9. Jun 5, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

IIRC, there is a study or paper that shows that if we added an aluminum oxide to jet fuel, we could reduce the incident solar radiation globally by about 1%. Given that this involves a direct effort to reduce the incoming energy, I doubt that we have had two or four times the influence by chance.

I think I have the patent linked in biology...I will try to find.

10. Jun 5, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?