Visit Last Weekend: Adorable Critter with Irridescent Green Patches

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary: But how did she know that was the right frog to kiss? They all look alike to me, but maybe she just had a good feeling about it.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is mostly for Evo and DocToxyn...this cute little critter came by to visit last weekend and posed very nicely for photos. I especially like his(?) irridescent green patches on his cheeks.

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/7753/froggy4gg.jpg

So, now that it's spring and folks are hopefully spending some time outdoors and not entirely glued to their computers (unless it's at PF of course, then you're excused), who's been enjoying watching the wildlife? Any new photos of critters in your backyard?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I enjoy the wildlife and obviously the nature, but actually the purpose of this post is to ask whether frogs think in some way, have emotions, and can love? I'm often wondering whether any animal is able to have emotions, or love or the like,

He looks like he has a mouthful of teeth. :bugeye:

thats what I thought.. frog crossed with a piranha..

Evo said:
He looks like he has a mouthful of teeth. :bugeye:
Hee hee...he might have teeth in there, but if he does, they're not showing. That's just his lips you see that have a striped/speckled sort of pattern on them. I didn't try picking the little feller up to get a closer look, because he seemed so content just sitting there staring under the deck, where he ultimately decided to hop off to.

Moonbear said:
Hee hee...he might have teeth in there, but if he does, they're not showing. That's just his lips you see that have a striped/speckled sort of pattern on them. I didn't try picking the little feller up to get a closer look, because he seemed so content just sitting there staring under the deck, where he ultimately decided to hop off to.

have you ever tried licking them?

heartless said:
I enjoy the wildlife and obviously the nature, but actually the purpose of this post is to ask whether frogs think in some way, have emotions, and can love? I'm often wondering whether any animal is able to have emotions, or love or the like,

well, there was the frog prince, i'd imagine he felt some sort of affection for that princess who kissed him and turned him into a hottie prince.

Gale said:
well, there was the frog prince, i'd imagine he felt some sort of affection for that princess who kissed him and turned him into a hottie prince.

But how did she know that was the right frog to kiss? They all look alike to me,

What is the species of the critter with irridescent green patches?

The species of the critter with irridescent green patches is the Green Anole (Anolis carolinensis).

Where is the critter commonly found?

The Green Anole is commonly found in the southeastern United States, particularly in Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.

What do the irridescent green patches on the critter signify?

The irridescent green patches on the Green Anole are used for communication and mating purposes. Males will display their patches to attract females and to establish dominance over other males.

What do Green Anoles eat?

Green Anoles primarily eat insects such as crickets, flies, and moths. They may also occasionally eat small spiders and other invertebrates.

Are Green Anoles good pets?

Green Anoles can make good pets for experienced reptile owners. They require a specific habitat and diet, and may not be as interactive or easy to handle as other pet reptiles. It is important to research and understand their needs before considering them as a pet.

Back