Looked through an observatory telescope for the first time today

In summary, the conversation was about a person's experience at an observatory in Gilbert, AZ where they were able to use a 16" telescope to look at Jupiter, Saturn, the moon, stars, and the moons orbiting Jupiter and Saturn. The person was amazed by the clarity of the rings of Saturn and the moon. They also discussed their own telescope and plans to visit a larger telescope in California. There was also a discussion about viewing other galaxies and the limitations of using binoculars for this purpose.
Daniel Y.
...and it was INCREDIBLE! Here in Gilbert, AZ (basically on the outskirt of Phoenix) by the bird riparium there's a small observatory with a 16" telescope. We went up there and looked at Jupiter, Saturn, the moon, some stars, and the moons orbiting Jupiter and Saturn. I was stunned to actually see the rings of Saturn, and the moons orbiting it. The moon was breathtaking, too, but supposidly it's better to look at it when it's a half or quarter moon (so the craters have shadows). Definitely a big step up from my crappy little 114mm Meade. Do you have a telescope or go to an observatory? If you have a telescope, what kind? A guy could really get into this astronomy thing...:biggrin:

I can't wait to go out to California in fall and take a peak through the 200" telescope out there.:wink:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
There is an opportunity for me to visit our schools observatory. I was considering it. But I am curious, do you just see the white dots as bigger white dots, or can you actually see anything like galaxies and stuff?

Cyrus said:
There is an opportunity for me to visit our schools observatory. I was considering it. But I am curious, do you just see the white dots as bigger white dots, or can you actually see anything like galaxies and stuff?

With my 4" I could only see dots when looking at Jupiter or Saturn, but with the 16" you can actually see the planet. I asked the operator of the telescope if one could look at Andromeda through it and see amazing detail, and he said you wouldn't be able to recognize much because the telescope would be focusing on the stuff half a degree wide, and Andromeda is 2 degrees wide (you wouldn't know what you're looking at because it's too big to fit in the telescope!). He said to look at that galaxy you should just use a good pair of binoculars. I didn't ask about other galaxies, but I might tomorrow or the next time I go.

Daniel Y. said:
With my 4" I could only see dots when looking at Jupiter or Saturn, but with the 16" you can actually see the planet. I asked the operator of the telescope if one could look at Andromeda through it and see amazing detail, and he said you wouldn't be able to recognize much because the telescope would be focusing on the stuff half a degree wide, and Andromeda is 2 degrees wide (you wouldn't know what you're looking at because it's too big to fit in the telescope!). He said to look at that galaxy you should just use a good pair of binoculars. I didn't ask about other galaxies, but I might tomorrow or the next time I go.

I have a pair of binos at home, but where in the sky do you look? I want to see a galaxy, with spiral arms, and UFOs and possibly a death star and destroyer battle ship.

Cyrus said:
I have a pair of binos at home, but where in the sky do you look? I want to see a galaxy, with spiral arms, and UFOs and possibly a death star and destroyer battle ship.

Sorry but you can't see the arms with binocular resolution! you can however see Andromeda galaxy as a better blur patch than what you eyes can see at dark site (Andromeda is a naked-eye object at sufficiently dark sky!).

1. What did you see through the telescope?

Through the telescope, I was able to see a variety of celestial objects such as stars, planets, and galaxies. I also saw the moon in great detail, with its craters and surface features.

2. How does the telescope work?

The telescope works by using lenses or mirrors to gather and focus light from distant objects, making them appear larger and clearer for us to see. The eyepiece of the telescope magnifies the image, allowing us to see even further.

3. What was the most impressive thing you saw through the telescope?

One of the most impressive things I saw through the telescope was Saturn and its rings. It was a breathtaking sight to see such a distant planet with such clarity and detail.

4. Can you see any objects that are not visible to the naked eye?

Yes, through the telescope, I was able to see many objects that are not visible to the naked eye. This includes distant galaxies, star clusters, and even some of Jupiter's moons.

5. How does using a telescope enhance our understanding of the universe?

Using a telescope allows us to see objects and phenomena that are too far away or too faint to be seen with the naked eye. This helps us to gain a better understanding of the vastness and complexity of our universe, and to further our knowledge and research in the field of astronomy.