Find a Book About Prime Number Distribution

• Thread starter Treadstone 71
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, There are several books that cover the distribution of prime numbers, including "The Distribution Of Prime Numbers" by A.E.Ingham, "The Prime Numbers and their distribution" by Tenenbaum, et al., "Multiplicative Number theory" by Davenport, "Introduction to Analytic Number Theory" by Apostol, "Analytic Number Theory" by Iwaniec and Kowalski, and "Unsolved Problems In Number Theory" by Guy. There is also "Prime Numbers: The Most Mysterious Figures in Math" and "The New Book of Prime Number Records" for a more popularized approach. However, many of these books can be discouraging as the problems in number theory often seem unsolvable
Treadstone 71
I'm looking for a book that will do a thorough exposition of everything we know about the distribution of primes. Can anyone recommend one?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
'The Distribution Of Prime Numbers' - A.E.Ingham is pretty good, but then it's the only one I've used so there may be better suggestions out there..

I don't think there is a book that contains "everything".

Ingham's book is old, but also one of my favorites, it's a great introduction though at an advanced level. "The Prime Numbers and their distribution" by Tenenbaum, et al. is a nice book as well, more on an introductory level but still covering a good range of topics.

Almost all number theory texts beyond the "elementary" ones will have info on the distribution of primes. Davenport's "Multiplicative Number theory" and Apostols "Introduction to Analytic Number Theory" are good. "Analytic Number Theory" by Iwaniec and Kowalski is a phenomenal resource for all things related to it's title, though perhaps not the easiest to learn about a topic from scratch.

Guy's "Unsolved Problems In Number Theory" is self explanatory. It usually gives the most current results on a topic and will provide ample references.

If you plan to buy a book, you should go to the library and try to read some of it first to see if it's at an appropriate level.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've discovered a book called "Prime Numbers: The Most Mysterious Figures in Math" which I really like. It may sound like a popularized math book, but it's actually like "Unsolved Problems in Number Theory" by Guy, though it lists topics that are solved and unsolved. "The New Book of Prime Number Records" is pretty good too.

Guy's book is very discouraging to read. At the end of many sections, he often includes a remark like "it is unlikely that this problem will be solved within our lifetime".

In number theory, hundreds and thousands of pages of work can result in reducing an exponent by a minuscule amount and still you seem hopelessly distant from what is believed to be the truth.

1. What is a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself. For example, 2, 3, 5, and 7 are all prime numbers.

2. How are prime numbers distributed?

The distribution of prime numbers is a complex mathematical problem that has been studied for centuries. It is believed that as the numbers get larger, the gaps between consecutive prime numbers become more and more random.

3. What is the significance of prime number distribution?

Understanding the distribution of prime numbers is important in many areas of mathematics and computer science. It has practical applications in cryptography, data encryption, and prime number factorization.

4. Are there any patterns in the distribution of prime numbers?

While there are some patterns that have been observed in the distribution of prime numbers, there is no known formula or algorithm to predict the exact location of prime numbers. This is what makes the study of prime number distribution so intriguing.

5. How can I find a book about prime number distribution?

There are many books available on prime number distribution, ranging from introductory texts to more advanced mathematical analyses. You can find books on this topic in libraries, bookstores, and online retailers.