Finding a Function for a Family of Curves

• Thread starter orthogonal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the person is looking for a function that can produce a family of curves with a single parameter to control its starting speed. They have found curves similar to the blue one (such as arctan and erf) but not the green one. One suggestion is to take the inverse of the blue curve's equation to get the green curve, or to use a scaled smooth transition function for a more aesthetically pleasing result.
orthogonal
Hey all,

I am trying to find a function which will give me a family of curves similar to the one shown below. What I am hoping is that a single parameter will control whether the curve starts out slow (like the blue one) or whether the curve starts out fast (like the green one) or whether it is a linear ramp.

Does anyone know of a class of curves like this?

I can find plenty of curves which behave similar to the blue curve (ex. arctan, erf) but none like the green one.

Thanks,

Orthogonal

curves.jpg

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
orthogonal said:
Hey all,

I am trying to find a function which will give me a family of curves similar to the one shown below. What I am hoping is that a single parameter will control whether the curve starts out slow (like the blue one) or whether the curve starts out fast (like the green one) or whether it is a linear ramp.

Does anyone know of a class of curves like this?

I can find plenty of curves which behave similar to the blue curve (ex. arctan, erf) but none like the green one.

Thanks,

Orthogonal

https://sites.google.com/site/rjaengineering/temp_pic/MWSnap%202014-04-02%2C%2016_34_19.bmp?attredirects=0
Your link is broken.

Fixed the link. :)

If you know the equation for the blue curve, then can't you just take the inverse to find an equation for the green curve?

The green curve is the reflection over the line y=x of the blue curve. So if you have a function f(x) whose graph y = f(x) is the blue curve, then the graph of x = f(y) will give you the green curve. In other words, you want y = f-1(x), where f-1 is the inverse function of f, not its reciprocal.
So, for example, the functions f(x) = pi*arctan(x)/2 and f-1(x) = tan(x*pi/2) (restricted to the domain [-1, 1]) would be the type of pair you seek. These asymptotes may be a bit too slow for you, though.
In particular, you may want to use a scaled smooth transition function: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-analytic_smooth_function#Smooth_transition_functions . Since it is 1-1 on the interval of transition, it is invertible there. Although both explicit forms may be aesthetically unpleasant.

What is a function for a family of curves?

A function for a family of curves is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a set of input values and a set of output values for a group of curves that share similar characteristics.

Why is finding a function for a family of curves important?

Finding a function for a family of curves allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of a group of curves, make predictions about future values, and make comparisons between different curves within the family.

What methods can be used to find a function for a family of curves?

Some methods that can be used to find a function for a family of curves include plotting the curves and looking for patterns, using regression analysis to fit a curve to the data points, and using calculus to determine the equation of a curve that best fits the data.

What are some common types of functions for families of curves?

Some common types of functions for families of curves include polynomial functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, and trigonometric functions.

How can finding a function for a family of curves be applied in real-world situations?

Finding a function for a family of curves can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze real-world phenomena. For example, in physics, a function for a family of curves can be used to describe the motion of objects, while in economics, it can be used to analyze the relationship between supply and demand.