Choosing a Diode for 12V Battery Charger: Tips and Recommendations

• Thread starter Hylton Conacher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diode
In summary, the 1N5408 is a suitable diode to use to protect a 12V battery charger circuitry connected to a battery. The charge current is max 5A and the trickle charge at 600mA, and the voltage is 13.8 V.
Hylton Conacher
Just joined and looking for information on which diode to use to protect a 12V battery charger circuitry connected to a battery. it is charging. Should the mains supply fail ie battery charger has no forward current, the battery may apply voltage and current to the circuitry damaging the LM338 voltage regulator.

Charge current is max 5A and the trickle charge at 600mA Voltage is 13.8 V

A friend suggested a 1N5408 but am not sure looking at data sheet.

Help appreciated.

Regards
Hylton

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Thread moved and title changed to fit the topic.
Hylton, I also removed the link to your personal e-mail. I believe it is against the rules to have personal information like this in the main forums. To easy to exploit and all, you know.

Likes dlgoff
Drakkith said:
Thread moved and title changed to fit the topic.
Hylton, I also removed the link to your personal e-mail. I believe it is against the rules to have personal information like this in the main forums. To easy to exploit and all, you know.

Tnx Drakkith, all understood.

the 1N540x series are 3 Amp rated

the usual way to protect a regulator is just to put a 1N4007 from the output of the reg chip to its input
cathode to output pin. This prevents the voltage output becoming significantly higher than the input voltage

Dave

Heat will eat you up in this application. 5 amp x 1 volt drop = 5 watts!
Try this: FMB-G24H
It's a bit expensive, but it will produce less heat and it's case is insulated so that you can put a dab of petrolatum (vasoline) on it and mount it on most any metal surface to shed the heat.

Mike_In_Plano said:
Heat will eat you up in this application. 5 amp x 1 volt drop = 5 watts!
Try this: FMB-G24H
It's a bit expensive, but it will produce less heat and it's case is insulated so that you can put a dab of petrolatum (vasoline) on it and mount it on most any metal surface to shed the heat.
which is why I suggested the standard protection method so that there isn't a diode inline with the supply :)

1. What type of diode should I use for a 12V battery charger?

For a 12V battery charger, a Schottky diode is recommended. This type of diode has a low forward voltage drop and can handle high currents, making it ideal for charging batteries.

2. How do I calculate the required diode rating for my 12V battery charger?

To calculate the required diode rating, you will need to know the maximum charging current of your battery and the maximum voltage it can handle. The diode should have a current rating that is equal to or greater than the charging current, and a voltage rating that is at least 20% higher than the battery's maximum voltage.

3. Can I use multiple diodes in parallel to increase the current handling capacity?

Yes, you can use multiple diodes in parallel to increase the current handling capacity. However, it is important to ensure that the diodes have the same specifications and are connected properly to avoid any imbalances in current distribution.

4. Can I use a regular silicon diode instead of a Schottky diode for my 12V battery charger?

While you can technically use a regular silicon diode for your 12V battery charger, it is not recommended. Silicon diodes have a higher forward voltage drop, which can lead to more power dissipation and potentially cause the diode to overheat. Schottky diodes are specifically designed for high current and low voltage applications like battery charging.

5. How do I protect the diode from reverse voltage when the charger is not in use?

To protect the diode from reverse voltage, you can use a reverse polarity diode or a Schottky diode in reverse. This will allow the current to flow in the opposite direction without damaging the diode. Another option is to use a relay to disconnect the charger from the battery when it is not in use.