1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a function

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know a function t(x) satisfying the following conditions.

as x -> 0 we have

(1) t(x)-> oo

(2) x t(x) -> 0

(3) x t(x) exp(t(x)) -> 0

(4) x t(x)^2 exp(t(x)) -> oo

I have "two extremes" as

t(x) = sqrt(-log x) satisfies (1-3) but x t(x)^2 exp(t(x)) -> 0

t(x) = -log( -x log(x))

satisfies (1-2) and (4), but x t(x) exp(t(x)) -> c >0

I have been searching desperately.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2
    What level course is this?

4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    hello

if your really desperate you should try ploting it through mathematica or some similar program and watch what happens as x goes to infinity it shouldnt be too hard, a few guesses and you should be able to get your solution

5. Jun 13, 2005 #4
    This is in the reals, right? And am I misreading this:
    or are (1) and (2) mutually exclusive?

6. Jun 13, 2005 #5
    I want to agree with you but first I want to verify that the only functions that tend to infinity as x-> 0 are ones where the denominator has a quicker tendency to infinity than the numerator.

7. Jun 13, 2005 #6

[tex]t(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\vert x \vert}}[/tex]

Am I missing something?

8. Jun 13, 2005 #7
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{x}{\sqrt{|x|}} \neq 0 [/tex]

9. Jun 13, 2005 #8
    edit: I misread the OP, ignore this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2005
  10. Jun 13, 2005 #9

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's zero. When x>0 it's sqrt(x). It appears he's only looking at right handed limts (hence his log's), but for this function the two-sided limit is also zero, it's -sqrt(x) for x<0.

These limits are as x->0, none of them exclude any others.

t(x) = -log( -x log(x)) is hopeful. In condition 3, you're looking at [-log(x)-log(-log(x))]/(-log(x)). You'd like to speed up the growth of the denominator without affecting the numerator signifigantly. Try fiddling with the inside log of t(x)

11. Jun 13, 2005 #10
    I thought of this last night, does it have to be continuous?
    And also, for a limit to exist, the function must approach the value from both sides, however since the log function can't take negative values, there is a whole in his domain for t(x) = -log( -x log(x)), correct?

12. Jun 13, 2005 #11

shmoe

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The log(x) is what made me think he was considering right hand limits. Finding a function satisfying those limits from the right is enough in any case, just put |x| where you see x and you've got your two sided limits as well. There's nothing about continuity as he's written it, just a limit. In fact the first condition rules on continuity at 0. The t(x) = -log( -x log(x)) will work, with some minor alterations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?