Looking for a good book on PDEs

• Thread starter physicist311
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Pdes
In summary: I have the second edition and I don't think it covers spherical problems as good as needed for quantum mechanics, I had to do some photocopies from the 4th ed for supplementation.
physicist311
Does anybody know a good introductory book on PDEs? I am a physics major and something applied is what I'm looking for. It must have a good amount on Fourier methods too. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is actually quite an old book, but I love it: "Partial Differential Equations in Physics" by Arnold Sommerfeld. Emphasis on applications (a whole chapter devoted to applications to 'problems of radio'), written by a physicist for physicists, and has exercises with solutions.

Hey dx, first let me say thanks for posting. It is sometimes hard to get people to reply and I appreciate it. Onto the book, I looked over the table of contents at amazon and it looks good by first inspection. Also, the solutions to problems is a huge factor in my decision whether or not to buy the book. Can you tell me anything else like: ingenuity of the problems, scope of the book, amount of rigor, friendly writing style, etc...? Thanks again.

Hi physicist311,

The exercises are usually non-trivial, but the good thing is you won't get frustrated since there are hints and solutions. If you want to use this book, I suggest that you also get an easier supplementary book which has a lot of easy practice problems just to get familiar with concepts, especially if you haven't seen stuff like Fourier series before. The amount of rigor is just right for physicists.

malawi_glenn said:
It is modern and nice, but really expensive though..

Yeah, but does one really need the 4th edition? The 2nd edition is cheap. After that the publisher is just trying to force students to buy new.

Daverz said:
Yeah, but does one really need the 4th edition? The 2nd edition is cheap. After that the publisher is just trying to force students to buy new.

I have the second edition and I don't think it covers spherical problems as good as needed for quantum mechanics, I had to do some photocopies from the 4th ed for supplementation

1. What is a good introductory book on PDEs?

One highly recommended book for beginners is "Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by Walter A. Strauss. It covers the basic concepts and techniques in a clear and concise manner.

2. Are there any books that focus on specific types of PDEs?

Yes, there are many books that specialize in different types of PDEs, such as "Elliptic Partial Differential Equations" by Qing Han and Fanghua Lin, which focuses on elliptic equations, or "Hyperbolic Partial Differential Equations" by John A. Trangenstein, which covers hyperbolic equations.

3. What is a good reference book for advanced study of PDEs?

"Partial Differential Equations" by Lawrence C. Evans is a highly recommended reference book for advanced study. It covers a wide range of topics and includes rigorous proofs and advanced techniques.

4. Is there a book that includes practical applications of PDEs?

"Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow is a great book for those interested in practical applications of PDEs. It includes numerous real-world examples and exercises to help apply the concepts learned.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about PDEs?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as video lectures, lecture notes, and interactive tutorials. Some recommended websites include MIT OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy, and Coursera.