Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Looking for a good book

1. Feb 20, 2004 #1
    I am having a hard time finding a good book on celestial mechanics, any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2004 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well,

In this thread I recommended Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications by Vallado.

It does depend on the level of your math abilities and the depth which you want to delve. That book goes has pretty much anything you would want to learn about, but the math can get pretty hairy.

4. Feb 21, 2004 #3
    I just searched the Noble (North of Boston Library exchange) library network and no exact matches :frown:

This was the only match, infact:

http://innopac.noblenet.org/search/...ameset&FF=tfundamentals+of+astrodynamics&1,1,

I just started Differential Equations, but I skipped Calculus III because it wasn't offered this semester.

5. Feb 21, 2004 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've heard that Bate, Mueller and White is a decent book. I haven't looked at it myself, though.

this is the book I've got.

TL1050 .V35 2001

6. Feb 22, 2004 #5
    A bit expensive and not at my library :(

7. Apr 6, 2004 #6
    Here is one

My copy looks promising. Its called Fundimentals of Astrodynamics by Roger R. Bate Donald D Mueller and Jerryr E White, 1971, 454 pages,14$, and continuously in reprint at Dover Publications Inc. I have their hard copy winter 2004 catalog of Math and Science. You can order online at doverpublications.com. It has a altitude vs lethal radiation dose. There is a narrow window of safety at 200 miles altitude when inside metal sheilding.

A related book I like is Introduction to Space Dynamics by WIlliam Tyrrell Thomson, 1986, 315 pages, 15$, and still in reprint at DOver. I explains jet stabilization and near ground gravity turns. Very interesting.

Steve Stillman

8. Apr 7, 2004 #7

AD

Shouldn't there be a distinction made between celestial mechanics and astrodynamics? I thought that astrodynamics was the name given to the more practical engineering aspects of spacecraft dynamics, control and navigation. Whereas celestial mechanics is looking only a planets and their satellites and not really concerned with travelling around and between them.

BMW is decent, and it is also dirt cheap. As is Thomson, although that's more to do with attitude control and associated things, rather than celestial mechanics, I think. Dover also do another book called An Introduction to Celestial Mechanics, although it is a re-print of a text from the very early twentieth century.

A lot of general physics, and especially mechanics, textbooks have sections on celestial mechanics. And so do some astronomy texts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?